1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don Draper is D.B. Cooper?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I know there is a separate "Mad Men" thread, but this would be all kinds of awesome:

https://medium.com/sterling-cooper-draper-pryce/e96804523838

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I haven't watched the show since a few episodes into Season 1, but that would be a killer way to end it.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Drapers worth more than the 200k Cooper got

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Maybe. Who knows what happens between now and then? He could lose it all. He could leave it behind. How many times has he already dreamed of running away from it all?

I'm not convinced that Don Draper is going to actually be D.B. Cooper. (Remember, there were some Megan-as-Sharon Tate hints this season, as well.) But I think it's pretty plausible that the genesis of the show may have been for Weiner to imagine a back story for D.B. Cooper. The signs that the author of that piece, as well as others, have pointed out seem convincing to me. Convincing beyond just retroactively fitting the pieces into the narrative I now want to believe. (And I'm not sure I've even seen the biggest sign mentioned yet in any pieces - the name Sterling COOPER.)

Don may not be D.B. Cooper. But I think he may be inhabiting what Weiner imagines D.B. Cooper to represent.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Great theory, but D.B. Cooper was described by eye witnesses as having "piercing brown eyes." Jon Hamm/Don Draper has green eyes.

So close!

6. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I hope the D.B. Cooper theory is wrong. I hate that as the ending.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That ending is not a theory. It's silliness. Maybe it was the blogger's cat Chauncey's idea

Draft saved Draft deleted