1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dominique Wilkins attacked by former NBA referee

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Mar 30, 2011.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Nice picture of the guy too.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Gives new meaning to being on the Hawks "beat."

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

This was right above the Rumsfeld kill team thread when I glanced at the board, and for a split second, I thought Wilkins had been murdered.

5. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Ok, I did the same thing and was worried I was losing it.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Tons of red flags waving on this since the guy is a former ref and pissed at a former player over money. Are we sure this is about suits?

The guy should have fought Nique either wearing a Celtics jersey or in the fourth quarter. He would have had a much better chance.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Awesome line from the story:

So the guy gets arrested, has a black eye, and still no money for his suits. Do they let just any loser be a NBA ref? Where do I sign up?

8. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

The former ref is 36, which means it's highly unlikely he ever reffed 'Nique's games.

But how's he gonna explain getting a beatdown from an old-timer?

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Story seems to make a case Wilkins could owe the guy money.

Dude quit reffing in 2001 and started a custom clothing company. I'd take that to mean he made clothes for really tall people he had made connections with during his time as an official.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

He was an NBA ref at the age of 23. After a brief tenure at the highest level, he resumed his officiating career in the SWAC and MEAC. Seriously.

11. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I know a tailor in Toronto who does custom stuff for a number of Raptors, Kiefer Sutherland, a few other athletes, etc. He loves to tell the story of the time he made a couple of suits for Oliver Miller for a couple grand back in 1996 or so. Miller kept dodging him when it came to pay up, and when he finally give the guy a check, it bounced (according to basketballreference.com, Miller made $2.3 million that year).

He mounted the check on the wall behind the cash register, and is all too happy to tell people the same story when they ask about it.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And people wonder why the NFL and NBA cannot sit out for an entire season.

Draft saved Draft deleted