1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Domestic violence, the new war on poor/minorities (like the drug war)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Just the facts ma am, Apr 8, 2016.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That's not true at all.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I know where you are headed. But let's say I go on a bender and hole up somewhere and shoot up smack for a week straight. What harm does that do to anyone else, in and of itself?

3. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Life doesn't happen in a vacuum. Spouses, partners, and children bear a large burden.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

If all, or even just a majority, of drug users did that and only that, ever, maybe we'd have something solid on which to base the decriminalization of all drugs.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

If all addicts were orphans with no friends who kept to themselves at all times ...

6. The Big Ragu

My opinion. ... We should criminalize behavior that infringes on others. ... not the thing that does nothing to anyone else in and of itself.

Every time you leave your home, you potentially engage in millions of behaviors that might potentially lead to something else that may or may not impact someone else (for good or bad). We don't criminalize most things on that kind of reasoning.

Practically, our drug laws make little sense to me, too. We have created a sprawling prison system on the back of these laws. I don't buy your characterization that the majority of drug users are doing things as a result of their using drugs to hurt anyone else. The reality is we have filled prisons with hundreds of thousands of people who have done nothing to harm anyone else -- the are simply incarcerated on drug charges. Then there is how much violent crime that was only a product of the fact that we criminalized the drug trade? If drug commerce was legal, and not something that has to be conducted illicitly, we would reduce that violent crime immeasurably.

The whole thing makes little sense to me. It not only is costly in terms of what it takes to pursue those offenses and warehouse people that way (in the most inefficient way possible from a cost standpoint), but the toll in terms of destroying people's lives arguably has done way more harm than drug use itself ever could.

Either way, I don't think it's my place or your place to decide what behavior someone chooses to engage in (as in their choice) is harmful or not. It's your life. Your body. Live it how you please. ... UNTIL you do something that is likely to hurt someone else. This is how we ended up with prohibition. Drug use falls pretty well short of that for me, too, because millions of people use all kinds of drugs without it leading to a murder or an armed robbery or any other kind of tangible harm to anyone else.

In my opinion, the basic social contract way of creating laws has worked best for us. It's when we have strayed from it that we have gone most wrong. You have a a right to pursue your life as you want (for example, getting stoned every day). But that right should only go only as far as you infringing on others' pursuit of whatever floats their boat. Your drug use does nothing to anyone else -- in and of itself. Which is why I posted what I did: it's not the same thing as domestic violence. The domestic violence itself harms someone else.

7. Mr. Sunshine

This illustrates a stunning lack of understanding about how addiction -- and life -- works.

MisterCreosote likes this.
  8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

OK, alcohol then. What more should we be doing about it considering it's the single most destructive substance of abuse in our culture?

9. The Big Ragu

Can you elaborate? You didn't give me much to respond to.

I don't know how you read anything into what I posted about how life works, (I would never have the hubris to post about how life works because it is a subjective construct that is painted by each of our personal experiences. I am an expert on my life, for example. Not on your life) and even more so, how you are reading any comment into it about anyone suffering from any kind of addiction.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Good question, cran. I'm all for the tradeoff of stiffer sentences for certain alcohol-related crimes and lesser punishment for certain drug-related crimes.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Maybe drugs should be legalized and taxed and only "certain drug-related crimes" should be prosecuted?

12. Mr. Sunshine

Nope. Decriminalizing something doesn't make the problems associated with it go away, and often exacerbates them. Alcohol is the perfect example.

I can get on board with decriminalizing weed, but I can understand why people don't want to take that step.

Draft saved Draft deleted