1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Domestic violence, the new war on poor/minorities (like the drug war)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Just the facts ma am, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I can't believe I actually agree with you on something.

2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Whitlock needs to work his corners a little harder.

Among the many issues I take with this column: Domestic violence, more than any other crime, cuts across racial and socioeconomic strata.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

There, there blind squirrel.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I've spent a lot of time working on domestic violence policy the past two years. As Franticscribe mentioned, it cuts across all racial and socioeconomic strata.

Almost every case is unique. There's no one-size-fits-all solution, therapy or penalty. You need to ensure you have a full range of preventative education, therapy, counseling, intervention, shelter and support available for all involved.

And while penalties can and should include loss of work and suspensions (in sports, for example) they can often exacerbate the problem by adding economic stress to the situation.

FYI, zero tolerance/mandatory arrest as a police policy doesn't preclude counseling and therapy. It saves lives.

Lastly, Jason Whitlock is an idiot.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Or anybody for that matter

heyabbott, FileNotFound and HC like this.
  6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I could say the same to you, stopped clock.

7. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

So a woman hit me, the police were called, I showed the police my injuries. The police were apologetic but because of "OJ" they had to arrest me and take me to jail.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  8. cranberry

How come the police didn't take her to jail if she hit you and you suffered injuries that were plainly visible? Who called the police?

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If JW wants to argue that DV are enforced in a racially inequitable manner, he failed. If he wants to argue that black athletes are disproportionately involved in DV, he failed and even if it true, tough shit Jason. It's called oppression. It's called the strong picking on the weak. And if JW is making any kind of excuse for it, then not seeing your dick for forty-five years is a poor excuse for being an asshole

10. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

A neighbor, who was a rival in the Homeowners Association, called the police after hearing an argument through the adjacent walls.

The black male, then as now, will never get the benefit of the doubt; even with plain evidence.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  11. cranberry

That's not much info. I guess you had to be there.

franticscribe likes this.
  12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not sure this relates to the Whitlock column -- I kind of stopped reading partially in. But from the thread title: I get lost on any comparison between domestic violence laws and the "war on drugs." They just don't belong together in any way for me.

If you use drugs, you aren't potentially hurting anyone except yourself. If you hit a woman, you are obviously hurting someone else. One is the kind of thing I think should be criminalized in a society that is all about protecting you from others -- even if you think the domestic violence laws we have come up with are too stringent. The other is something that should have never been criminalized at all, in my opinion.

Draft saved Draft deleted