1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Domestic violence, the new war on poor/minorities (like the drug war)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Just the facts ma am, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Jason Whitlock makes some good points.

http://j.school/post/142467498840/hardy-outrage-a-dangerous-mask-for-lack-of-insight

I would add that the zero tolerance for domestic strife began with the revelations that OJ got cut slack by cops on domestic calls because of his celebrity status. Mandatory arrests, especially of black males, became standard after that. This of course increased revenue for the judicial/penal complex.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Sorry, I have no sympathy for anyone who does that sort of thing.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Physical violence against a woman is in no way the same ball park as drugs. Because of the cycle and escalation of violence you tend to get some horrible consequences. And it's been documented that children in DV homes are at greater risk to be abused or to abuse when they get older. Sympathize if it is primarily targeting one group but i want zero tolerance.

heyabbott likes this.
  4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

5. Just the facts ma am

Cops in the past, made judgement calls.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

We need to look at the root causes of domestic violence before passing judgement.

old_tony likes this.
  7. Just the facts ma am

Immigrants, minorities, etc tend to have more domestic drama than white folks. Perhaps the "criminal justice system" is not the best place to resolve these issues. Mediation, counseling and education would be better than zero tolerance.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

"I shouldn't beat women? Oh, I didn't realize that was a bad thing. Thanks so much for this counseling and education."

This is one of the dumbest threads ever.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

"I bring this up because Greg Hardy, Ray Rice and other black athletes are being used as the Len Biases of domestic violence.
    "

Never knew a fat man could reach so far.

studthug12 and Smallpotatoes like this.
  10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Domestic violence, like drug and alcohol abuse, is often carried out for very personal and specific reasons. I'm not sure any one policy is going to do anything of note to stop it.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Black, white or purple, you hit a woman, you should go to the joint.

Smallpotatoes and JC like this.
  12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Don't hit women, it's not hard.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted