1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dolphins writer, Palm Beach

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Idaho, Sep 26, 2006.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I gotta think a little higher than that.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

If it's not at least $60K, you are living in a shoebox.

3. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Guest

You can get $75K if you know what you're doing in the interview. Tell 'em you know Le Batard gets $250K for what he's doing, and wait for them to come down from that. Also, tell 'em that you wanna buy a house down there once you get settled, and ask them what it would take to get there. you can't get a good two-bedroom house in South Florida anymore for less than $400K.

And of course they know that. You should also.

4. A two-bedroom house for under $400,000. No problem at all. Friends of mine have bought brand-new houses for less than that.

Playing the LeBatard card? Yes, that should be very effective.

Come back when you get a clue.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The lead beat writer at the Post usually makes about $60K. This is for the backup job...

$50K is more than reasonable for this position...

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

How true. Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when Costanza tries to estimate what they'll be paid for a pilot based on what Ted Danson makes.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

TrojanHorse wasn't serious.

Was he?

8. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Guest

well, of course i wasn't serious. point is, they'll pay anything they want if they want to hire you.

ask for the moon. see how high they will go. opening salary offers are just opening offers. if you've been around a while, you can probably work them for a lot more.

never accept the first offer. they're just fishing there.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I'd be VERY careful with that cavalier strategy.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt that. They can find someone equally good for what they want to pay. Most places, there will be a little flexibility but not much, not in the current job market.

11. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Guest

Geez, you peeps are missing the point.

they can always find someone other than you.

if they want you, the bargaining is on your table. don't waste that chance.

they will more than you think they are offering, and geez, would you peeps quit kneeling before the corporate newspaper gods?

they need you, not that they will tell you that, but stand up sometime and fight for the salary, and the consideration, that you deserve.

if they buy someone else, fine. another door opens for you........

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

It ain't "kneeling" if you resist making a patently ridiculous offer right out of the blocks. You have to know the market.

Draft saved Draft deleted