1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dolphins writer--Miami Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Left_Coast, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I get the feeling a lot of people on here haven't even read the infamous wrestling column.
    Anytime I've seen it, it was basically a feature with a "Where are they now?"

Not exactly like he was going loser fan boy.

2. Here's the question I'd like to ask Nick Saban after watching tonight's game:

Gosh, Mr. Saban, thanks for letting me kneel before you again. (My knees are still a little sore from last time, Sir, but that's OK. Here, have my water.) Anyway, Nick, love the way you conduct your team and your personal presence. Always classy, always calm, focused and logical.

So my question, Sir, is this: How come in the crunch time of a game, when your secondary has blown the coverage again, is Mr. Calm throwing a tantrum on the sideline, screaming himself silly?

Don Shula never did that, Nick.........Act like you've been there before.

Disclosure: I like Nick Saban. Has some funny ideas about the media (or not), and that secondary sure looks like it's gonna suck (it's his specialty), but I think he's gonna build a winner, though maybe not this year. Sometimes, though, I think his head is gonna explode in game situations, when instead he should be thinking, not spewing.

Vince Lombardi. Don Shula. Tom Landry. Bill Belichick. Always looking forward after a shit situation, looking to attack again. That's what I look for in a football coach.

p.s., Nick: Throw the red flag! Throw it! Throw it NOW!

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

From the story I heard, Darlington breaking the Manny Wright story pushed Darlington over the top for the Herald job. For what it's worth, I remember SportsCenter crediting the Post for breaking the story.

4. Lion_Woods

Lion_Woods Active Member

So basically Darlington posted his story online and the other two papers saw it and followed the story? Because the nexis search shows all three having the story on August 10.

5. Mizzougrad,

I don't think it's a case of reporters being too lazy nowadays that they just want to get on their plane and fly home; I think too few reporters get such an opportunity.

Using the example you provided, if I told my editor that I wanted to go chase down Ronnie Brown after that Jacksonville game, the response I would have gotten would have been a) that he needed me at the next-day press conference because he didn't have another warm body to send, or b) that our dickhead ME would say the funds weren't in our travel budget for an extra day of rental car/hotel and reject the request.

Unless you are at a place lucky enough to have the resources -- too few places do now -- then something like that becomes something you do at your own expense or not at all.

6. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

That's pretty much the way it works in South Florida, and that is how it happened with that story.

Draft saved Draft deleted