1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dolphins writer--Miami Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Left_Coast, Jul 5, 2006.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

If you're making an argument about credbility, I'm not sure I'd use Jesse Ventura to prove your point. My recollection is, he governed like a pro wrestler. Now I hear him doing ads shilling for offshore gambling websites.

2. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

A former pro wrestling columnist on a big-four beat isn't tantamount to going from the NY Post to the NY Times. It's more like going from a supermarket tabloid to the NY Times.

And your Ventura example is laughable.

3. Kamikaze Bingo

Kamikaze Bingo New Member

A Dolphins press conference, according to blondebomber:

Marvez: What's the Travis Daniels sit--
    Saban: Alex, you write about pro wrestling. Why could you possibly care? Are you going to put this in your column or something?
    Darlington: Yeah, Marvez. You suck. Do you even have two channels, or do you just get UPN?
    Salguero: Get out, jabroni!

A reader in the morning:

Wife: How'd the Dolphins do last night?
    Husband: Well, the paper says they won 13-10. But Alex Marvez wrote the story, and he covers pro wrestling. I bet they actually lost. Let's check the Herald.

...this is the most inane discussion ever. Alex does good work, and is a great guy. Yeesh.

4. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Not in the court of public opinion, she can't.

5. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

OK ... One more time. I'm a reader who remembers Marvez's pro wrestling column every time I see his byline. I just made the point I'm sure a ton of other readers do, too. I know I wouldn't want it on my resume. When I was in college? Hell, yeah! But then again a lot of adults wish they hadn't gotten that spring break tattoo either.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

To be perfectly honest, even though blondie is on my case, I did think less of Marvez as a journalist in his younger days because he wrote a pro wrestling column.

There. I said it.

7. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

This post should be required reading for everyone covering prep football for the Podunk Daily Post who comes on here and bitches about how they aren't getting their break and all anyone cares about is who you know and blah blah blah blah blah ...

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I heard that a competing columnist once took a shot at Marvez in print for his wrestling column...

It happens... Oh well...

He's a great guy who does great work. So he writes a wrestling column, who gives a shit?

9. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

But it couldn't be because newspapers these days are asking reporters to do more with less, or that the market is 1,000 times more saturated than it was in the salad days, or that coaches like Saban and Belichick and Reid might as well be mimes, or that athletes and coaches are more out of touch with reality than ever before, or that, in general, distrust is running at an all-time high in today's society.

Nope. It's got to be that every reporter on the Dolphins beat, especially that little puke Darlington, has forgotten how to pound the pavement. Back in the day, I didn't dare call my editor unelss I had broken a story about an professional athlete suffering from depression by staking out his house and then following him to his cousins'. Shit, when I was Darlington's age, I once broke a story about Joe Namath having genital herpes by following him to a urinal in Studio 54 and then holding his dick while he pissed.

And I liked it.

10. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

So does Alex get the 'Fins results before the game starts?
    :)
    Just kidding. We ran his wrestling column (in the lifestyles section) at my old rag and it was really well-written.
    From all I've heard, he's a good football reporter, too.

11. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Ummmmm ... OK. I praised the guy for going out and getting the story and you get bent out of shape because I didn't give him props. Interesting take ...

12. Lion_Woods

Lion_Woods Active Member

Are you sure he broke this story? If you do a search, all three papers had something on this on the same day. The Herald talked to Wright as well. Did his story get posted on the web first? Explain

Draft saved Draft deleted