1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dolphins worst NFL team ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SF_Express, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Simon, you're OK in my book but no one can possibly be so blind as to think any winless team doesn't belong in the discussion.
    Record isn't everything but it is a lot. And, yes, the 1972 Dolphins belong in a discussion about the best teams.
    Just as these Dolphins belong in a discussion about the worst teams.
    These Dolphins do suck hard.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

How many are there?

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I agreed with Simon that they're not the worst, but they're definitely among the worst.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I truly have no idea what you're talking about here.

I am saying the Dolphins belong on the short list of worst teams ever if they go 0-16. Yes, the 17-0 Dolphins belong on the short list of best teams ever. thats how these things work.

That you are arguing the '07 Dolphins somehow don't belong in the discussion because they try hard and have come close to winning six times is hilarious...and on a level of blind fanboidom (sp) typically only seen in these parts out of Steelers fanbois (and I am NOT referring to Oz here, let's be clear).

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That's utterly disingenuous. A lie by you.

You do not believe that. Very disappointing you would sink to that.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

What, you don't think they belong up there?

Yeah, I know all about the weakened schedule and the number of close calls the Dolphins had in 1972. Fact remains they are the only perfect team in NFL history. They're on the short list, even if I would take any number of subsequent dynastic teams ahead of them (late '70s era Steelers, '80s Niners, '90s Cowboys, '00s Pats).

7. Simon_Cowbell

LOL... doesn't sound like your list is very short.

Like I said.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The question remains: How are they not one of the worst teams in league history? And by which metric?

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

not as short as my list of worst teams ever. which includes two teams.

And the NFL has been around 80 years. A list of "greatest teams of all-time" that includes five teams is indeed pretty short.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Goddamnit, read the previous posts please.

By scoring margin...

By loss margin (which is the same on a winless team). ...

By skill level. ...

There is no team, not one, that is within 100 miles of the 1976 Buccaneers team.

I went to three home games that year. That imagery is indelible.

The only metric by which they would be better than a 16-loss Dolphins is number of losses without a win. The only one.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

How about the '07 Dolphins as one of the five worst teams ever? Assuming, of course, they go winless?

12. Simon_Cowbell

Of course that has to be the case. Very difficult to mix a team with a win into the mix and put them behind a winless team.

Draft saved Draft deleted