1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dolphins GM asked Dez Bryant unbelievable question at combine

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Apr 28, 2010.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

BUT HE WAS NEVER CHARGED WITH A CRIME!!!!!

(Yes, I agree).

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Maybe he was just trying to see how much she costs.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

As if that matters around here.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

What context can possibly make that an appropriate question?

Also, what context would have made it appropriate for Bryant to tell him to fuck himself, without having to worry about how it might affect his draft status?

5. The thing I can think of: Bryant talking on and on about his rough upbringing, dropping one hint after another about his mother turning tricks for cash, and curious GM just says, "Wait, was your mom a prostitute?" Not to judge him. Or her. But out of sheer curiosity or to grab his bearings.

Have no idea if that's what happened or anything close to it, but it's certainly not that difficult to envision a situation where the question, in context, wasn't out of line.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Didn't Dalton have this conversation with one of the bouncers at the Double Deuce?

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

This question is abhorrent and there is no conceivable "context" that would salvage the question.

The question was inexcusable. I don't care if Ireland had "good intentions." He's lucky, no one was ever going to ask him if his mother was a "prostitute" because there probably was not a sniff of a trouble upbringing in his life. Yet he's probably thinking "I would not take offense its an interview." Well you don't know what it feels like until its put to you.

I understand you want to be careful with your investment, but the point is the player, not his mother. Questions about what influence if any his mother has on him is fair game.

I wish Mr. Bryant would sue him for vindication of his rights just to bring that point home.

Someone today opined that this was an "interview." Um, no it was a one way street, Mr. Bryant has/had no choice in who drafted him.

8. Absolutes are dangerous. There are conceivable contexts in which such a question was perfectly reasonable, particularly if it became less of an interview and more of just two men talking about life, as these things so often do. Now, if that were the case, Bryant certainly wouldn't be upset, and the GM wouldn't be apologizing. But to say there is "no conceivable context" to salvage the question is simply not accurate.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

When have you ever been talking about life with another man you just met and suddenly felt comfortable enough to ask if his mom turned tricks?

10. I'm a journalist. I've asked plenty of questions like that. A lot of us have.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

This was a one-way interview where supposedly a representative of a team considering drafting a man into a likely $20-30M guarantee.

This is not two friends sharing a brewski. In that context, this is supposedly business and an interview. I will deal with that absolute. No way.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The five year old I saw at the titty bar said his mom did lots of tricks...

Draft saved Draft deleted