1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dollar Stores offshoot thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Mostly shopping at Costco and Target has never made me feel more bourgeoisie.

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I shop at Dollar General for cleaning supplies and go to Dollar Tree for gift bags.

The thing that made me almost fall on the floor laughing once was seeing a pregnancy test at a Dollar Tree. I feel like if you're trying to figure out if you're going to bring a human being into the world, you probably shouldn't go cheap with it and maybe splurge on the $10 kit.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

At the Dollar Store, that's called an "R U Knocked Up?" test.

HanSenSE and Hermes like this.

4. Dollar Zone sells them as "Welfare Lottery tickets."

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Why? You're just as pregnant (or not) either way, but with the Dollar Tree version you've got $9 more in your pocket!

6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

What's the pecking order in terms of quality? I've been only to Family Dollar.

7. albert777

albert777 Active Member

As far as my neck of the woods goes its Fred's>Dollar General>Dollar Tree>Family Dollar. I went to a Family Dollar store once and as I was walking past the area with the big plastic containers, I smelled something rank, then looked down and saw where somebody had peed in one of the bins, and it had been there long enough for the pee to turn a dark milky yellow. Turned right around and walked out. Never been back.

8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

This is a great sentence. There's an all-encompassing hopelessness every time I walk into Walmart. Everything is just a little askew, the employees look unhappy and the clientele looks even unhappier. Even the store decor is gloomy. Just an overall sense of desperation. Then you go to Target and the aisles are clean and there's big red and white signage and it just feels less despondent.

9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

"Bad news: You knocked me up. Good news: Our bastard offspring's college account already has nine dollars in it!"

Big Circus, HanSenSE, Hermes and 2 others like this.
  10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I don't shop with my political views on my sleeve. If I can get a cheap pair of shades at Dollar General, I'll hit up Dollar General.

I certainly hope the local farmers' markets aren't ripping off some subsection of America, because damn, there are great deals there.

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

You need to come visit my local SuperDuperWallyWorld. It's bright, well-stocked, well-maintained, and the employees are generally very friendly and helpful.

Except the pet section. Stay away from that guy.

12. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

I just got back from our Dollar Tree. We live in a metro area of a million people and have, obviously, lots of places to shop. I go here for toilet paper, paper towels, toothpaste, etc. And the one we go to is kept very clean.

Draft saved Draft deleted