1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dolan Media/New Orleans CityBusiness -- How to turn people off in your job ad

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by black dude with pompano, Jul 6, 2012.

1. http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1376679

I know the economy is rough, and it's a buyer's market, but anyone else have a viscerally negative reaction to the tone of this job ad?

2. I actually kind of like that. They don't mess around with what they want. They probably could have put those bullet points into one sentence, though: We're looking for an experience journalist who knows how to work sources, put in the footwork to get great stories and who can hit tight deadlines.

On the other side of that, you could land this job if your cover letter tells them you are completely indifferent about New Orleans, never miss a deadline because it might mean you'll miss the 11 o'clock news and just know you'll hate the person at the desk next to you in the newsroom and so will be out in the field all day. The job is definitely yours if you close the letter with, "I do not care whether or not you call me back with more information about the position."

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Reads like an ad for Farmington.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I liked the straightforwardness of most of it, but a couple of lines rubbed me the wrong way.

The lede was fine, and I appreciated the "bacon" joke. But then we get to ...

"Are you still reading? Good. Nice to know you have a decent attention span, Zippy."

This just sounds asshole-ish. I don't have an issue with the preceding list, but this is just condescending. (And my mom's nickname is Zippy, so it offends me personally because he's using that as an insult and making no pretense of it.)

"If you don't respond well to being challenged in the newsroom, this isn't the place for you. If you can handle constructive feedback and contribute your own opinions to making our stories better, you might be a good fit. Are you willing to grow as a journalist?"

Works great, I think. But then he follows up with: "If you are, send me your mind-blowing cover letter. If you don't think it's mind-blowing, at least make it sincere and original. If it's lame, I might just post it here so that you are mocked and scorned. (Actually, I'm checking with the legal department to see if I can do it; look out if I get the green light)"

I've worked for enough pompous employers, and that's how this comes off to me. I wouldn't want to work for someone who thinks this is funny.

Take out those two zingers and I think it's an excellent ad. Those two graphs don't add to it the description; they make the employer look like a bully.

5. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

I'll bet his staff meetings are a riot.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

You don't want to give the appearance that you normally attract an applicant pool filled with idiots. If you want to scare off morons, take the more positive approach that only applicants with top credentials get a look.

7. slc10

slc10 Member

His ad looks to have ideas for a good cover letter. For example, not everybody likes the city of New Orleans. I lived there once and I hated it. That is something that an applicant can use when writing the letter. Just something to think about. Have fun putting the letter together.

8. mrbigles01

mrbigles01 Member

Yep, this screams jerkoff who would be hell to work for. I am now almost three years out of college and have stumbled my way from job to job. But I will ALWAYS pass on a posting that reads like that. Being 29 and under employed is significantly preferable to working for a humorless cock-bag who thinks he is more clever and funny than he actually is.

9. dford15

dford15 New Member

Plain and simple this guy is a jerk who has a gigantic complex. I've run into too many of them over the last five years or so and am finding more and more miserable individuals in the journalism field more than those who actually enjoy what they do AND are very good at it. That was bar none the worst job ad I've ever read.

10. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

I thought it was funny. Maybe because I'm a bit of a smartass myself.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I'll take the Carlin approach:
    "Zippy"? Fuck you, Greg Larose.
    Thank you.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

A click revealed:

Sorry, that job is no longer listed on JournalismJobs.com.

Oh, and there's this, which could have led to the deletion:

http://jimromenesko.com/2012/07/06/the-most-obnoxious-journalism-job-ad-ever/

Of course, maybe they filled the position.

Oh, and when I clicked on that, I realized I know Greg Larose from a beat about 10 years ago (and never would have imagined him writing such an ad).

Draft saved Draft deleted