1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DoJ: "So tell us, NCAA ... why no playoff in football? It's everywhere else."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, May 4, 2011.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hancock really doesn't want to bring up "wasting taxpayers money" when Connecticut taxpayers are forced to write a check to the Fiesta Bowl for unused tickets.
    Throw in the public security costs, the flyovers etc. etc.
    Defending the BCS is a thankless job, but how about "We welcome the scrutiny of the DOJ to prove once again that the BCS is the system that most efficiently serves the interests of its fans, NCAA schools and the student-athletes."
    Hancock using the Barry Bonds/Martha Stewart/Scooter Libby/Bill Clinton defense doesn't help things.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Outing Alert: AQB is Lance Armstrong!

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If you live in Hawaii it already has.

And I have a hard time remembering when it went down in the summer.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

GOD DAMMIT, what gave it away?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Of course they have better things to do.
    And yet, if someone files an antitrust complaint, how is this different? A multibillion dollar industry is involved.
    Of course, the potential for waterboarding Hancock and Emmert would be a fine sport..

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And if he does, it looks like Utah's inclusion into the Pac-12 was a buyout

7. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm split too on the idea that Congress is getting involved when there's so many more important things to do. But at the same time, if one wrong is righted, that's one less wrong in the world.

I'd rather Congress look into unfair labor practices of the NCAA in regards to their athletes. Practices such as limiting compensation, limiting the ability to move from job to job (the ridiculous and hypocritcal transfer rules), and limiting the athlete's say in the working conditions.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I've never been a big fan of the "don't they have anything better to do" argument.

All of these agencies and Congress can do more than one thing at once.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

From the conference's point of view, they don't want the state government in one of its fiefdoms challenging the system that gets it scads of cash.

Sure it'll look like a buyout.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's apparent to anyone who's followed the Fiesta Bowl mess that the BCS is more crooked than a barrel of snakes. I'd bet DOJ could probably pop a bunch of people under RICO.

Congress has nothing to do with it.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Goddamn right. It's not appropriate for a collision sport played by the absolute cream of the crop of big, mean guys, but that flies right over the head of some people.

Draft saved Draft deleted