1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DOJ investigated (and cleared) ESPN for antitrust violations

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Re: DOJ investigated ESPN for antitrust violations

OK, and that would be a fine subject line, too. The current one makes it seem as though there hasn't been resolution.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Sell the sizzle, not the steak.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Incorrect. The past-tense "investigated" makes that point very clear.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I disagree. Plenty of things are investigated but left without resolution.

We're not paid to get clicks for this website. Why shouldn't we be explicit in subject lines?

5. LongTimeListener

You're being overly trivial, which I get is your thing, but in this case you're wrong too. The past tense in a headline means something is over and done with.

And you're completely missing the boat by saying the clearance is more noteworthy than the investigation, which, again, led to a significant change in the way ESPN operated.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Did I say that?

7. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

As far as the series goes, I agree it's a good series, but it implies that the college sports/ESPN relationship is a whore/john relationship when in reality it's more of a marriage. College sports have made a ton off ESPN. ESPN has made a ton off of college sports. ESPN has dictated college sports programing. College sports programing has a huge influence on ESPN's schedule.

It's a contrast to the the NFL/ESPN relationship, where the NFL is in a take-it-or-leave-it position and it's very possible to see the day where the NFL pulls out of network agreements altogether and keeps everything in house.

ESPN knows that can be an option for the major college powers too, which is why it pays top dollar. Colleges get exactly what they want out of this relationship. It's interesting that in this piece, it was Louisville that approached ESPN about the willingness to play on Thursdays, not the other way around. Louisville used ESPN every bit as much as ESPN uses Louisville.

8. LongTimeListener

OK I guess your first post of the thread wasn't yours. Or you're just yanking my chain. Either way, about as far as we need to go on this tangent.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I didn't say one was more important than the other. I said my version is more complete because it notes both the investigation and the clearance. We're not trying to get this site hits, are we? My ad-revenue shares haven't cleared.

Draft saved Draft deleted