1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doing TV

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Giggity, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Just what do you think the "friends" stands for in Fox and Friends? They can get any host to crack on Obama or government waste.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Giggity,

The best advice I ever got when I first started doing tv was: treat it like a big date. There are some real similarities. You're out to impress the host, the producers, the audience -- just like you'd be out to impress a date.

Dress nicely. If your hair looks bad or your clothing is weird/off, people will focus on that instead of what you say. Go in a style you feel comfortable with, but make sure it looks good. If you're male, make sure you give yourself a good shave or are neatly trimmed.

Be yourself. There's lots of good advice here about what you should do, but, if you're going to be successful, the best way is to be true to who you are. If you're not funny, do not try and be funny. There is nothing more painful that someone trying to be funny on TV. I can speak to that from personal experience. They've invited you there for a reason, stick to those reasons.

Be prepared. Know the general tone of the discussion in advance and be ready to make certain points. Say to yourself: "This is the number one point I want to make" and then make it. "This is the number two point I want to make" and then make it, and so on. Remember: like a good article, it's never a bad thing if you have stuff left over.

Don't panic if someone disagrees with you or (in a debate format) challenges you. Don't lose composure. If you are prepared and have done your research, you'll be fine. You can just come back with what you know. Weak people do not get invited back. The best are those who have done their prep and back up arguments with facts. You are being invited on because you have something to add. Be prepared to do that.

The final thing I'd say is don't get caught up in the "enormity" of TV. We have a great saying if someone gets nervous: "There are 7 billion people in the world and 99.99 per cent of them won't be watching." That's always good for a laugh and loosens up the guests.

Good luck and PM me if you have any more questions.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Giggity, I don't want to sound like a sycophant but EF is one of the most recognized TV sports guys in Canada. He's the ultimate pro.

He manages to handle both Glenn Healy and PJ Stock on Hockey Night in Canada and his head hasn't exploded yet. :)

And yes, don't try and be funny if you're not.

And EF didn't say it outright but do your homework.

4. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

The camera that's "hot" will be the one with the red light on top.

also, don't fidgit in your chair but feel free to gesticulate when you talk.

I always found it helped to calm me down to think that this particular show has lousy ratings so no one is watching anyway (even if that wasn't the case), That way if I screwed up, I would be convinced no one saw it and it would be OK. (of course when I tried this during my radio career it became somewhat disconcerting when people would mention they had listened to my show)

5. Giggity

Giggity Member

Wow, I can't believe how much great advice there is here (Elliotte in particular). A million thanks.

Lugnuts: I'll try to find out how many cameras there are. I'll be talking to the host in the next day or two.

Spikechiquet: It's a show previewing an upcoming event that kicks off just after our show. So, a pregame, basically.

Things are complicated even further by the fact I'm really not as on top of this as I'd like to be. Last year, I was heavily immersed in the event, but this year I'm kinda on the periphery. It's a little more intimidating when you don't feel like an expert.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Never seen EF on TV, but heard him on the radio. He's good.

7. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

Imagine all the cameramen are naked.

8. Don't focus on the red light like she did...

http://youtu.be/9swxevX57Gs

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Follow the advice everyone else has given plus be careful not to say any of these words:

10. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Mizzou, they are there to keep you from fast forwarding through the commercials. The thinking is, Tony or Mike might say something worth hearing, but to hear it, you have to sit through the commercials.

11. Giggity

Giggity Member

Just wanted to give a quick update since so many of you were so helpful.

It actually went great. Exhaustive preparation helped, as did the fact I seemed to have pretty good chemistry with the host. Some of the advice on here was invaluable - I actually had someone compliment me on not rushing through what I was saying.

I think it's pretty much impossible to give advice on the toughest part - controlling your nerves. There's just no substitute for going through the experience of being under the lights when the camera goes live. I had maybe 10 seconds of pretty intense panic right before we went live, but after that, it was smooth sailing. They want me to come back and do more, so I'll take that as a good sign.

And Lugnuts - I still have no idea how many cameras were in use.

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Great to hear.

EDIT: Just wanted to add it sounds like you were fortunate to have a team-player host who allowed you to display your knowledge and talent.

Draft saved Draft deleted