1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doing TV

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Giggity, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Giggity

Giggity Member

I just agreed to do a TV gig in the near future. I'm a print journalist who's never so much as done radio, and this will be a live half-hour studio show with an incredibly large viewership. Just me, the host and one other guy.
    So, any practical advice? Obviously I'm going to do some exhaustive research, but what beyond that? I hate public speaking in general, so this is a huge mental challenge for me (which is why I agreed to do it, honestly).

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Sit up straight and look at the camera. If they have a makeup person there who wants to put anything on you, let them, especially if you sweat a lot or are bald or balding.

Get there early, especially if they have to put a mic on you. It can be a little daunting when you're rushed in and you have to put one on, especially if you've never done it before. The first time I had to deal with that, it really threw me off.

Ask them to tell you if you're doing anything wrong. A lot of times they won't do this because they don't want to piss you off, but it's in your best interest to listen to them since they're the ones who do this regularly.

Good luck!

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

... and look at the host too, not just the camera. Try to make it look as much of a natural conversation between you and the host as possible, knowing that you've got people watching interested in what you and the host are talking about. Make them feel a part of the conversation by addressing them with the looks to the camera.

Be confident in your knowledge. They obviously want you on there for a reason ... you know your shit.

4. godshammgod

godshammgod Member

Yup, this is huge. When I would coach guests/interviewees on my shows I would always stress that they spoke to the host, etc. Make it a conversation. If and when you want to speak to the audience then look at the camera.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you make a good point yell, "Boom goes the dynamite!"

Good luck, Giggity. Let us know how it goes.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

+1

Be yourself. Think of the camera as a single person.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The first time I ever did TV was for a regional Fox Sports show and they had to do about 12 takes because I was sweating and wiping my brow and fumbling over my words so much. I was 23 at the time...

The cameraman said, "Just do it once to practice..." and I did my 90-second explanation. He then waved me over to show it to me and said, "I'm going to use this OK..." and did... All things considered, it came out pretty well...

I was soooo grateful because if he had told me to fuck off after my 10th botched take, I would not have blamed him for a second.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Go all Tourette's on their asses. TV bosses love that.

9. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Slow down when you talk and rehearse what you're going to say. It's easy to get motor-mouthed and say a million things at once.

10. Giggity

Giggity Member

All good advice. My big worry is that it's live, and it's a half-hour. I don't get Mizzou's 12 takes - if I get out there and freeze up, there's no stopping the train, and there's no riding it out for the length of one quick segment. Just getting thrown straight into the deep end in front of a national audience.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The best advice I ever got for TV (or radio appearances) was: no matter what they ask, say what you want to say. Heck, that's pretty much want every political pundit does.

That doesn't mean you ignore the question. But you should have some note in your head about what you want to talk about. That's key especially if you get stuck with a lousy interviewer or a question you can't make heads or tails of.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Keep your water close by so you don't have to reach for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted