1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doing Q&As

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by boundforboston, Feb 18, 2013.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

What do people think of running Q&As in print?

2. I'm partial or oral histories. ::)

Q&As are (IMO) lazy.
    If you are a writer. Write. Get to the meat of the story and go from there.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not everyone is a writer, right?

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Like everything else, depends on the quality. I think the Rolling Stone and Playboy interviews have proven over the years that they can be tremendously entertaining and engaging. If they're written instead Q&As, same thing: If the questions are good, and the answers even better, they can be great reads.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I enjoy reading them, by and large, and I've done a few myself that received positive feedback. Those were (I felt) special subjects that were best told in the first-person.

However, I abhor the transcription process.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The editing is crucial. The Q&A format is not an excuse for overly long quotes that say little. Cutting a Q&A is a craft.

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

You may be from a small town, but you get it.

8. Hey Diaz!

Hey Diaz! Member

Did a series of Q&As and they were pretty well received.

Yeah, if you edit properly and trim the fat quote-wise, what's the problem? You're presenting the information to readers in a slightly different manner than your typical story and often transcribing is the hardest part of the process for the writer ... it's a win-win for both parties, IMO.

9. slc10

slc10 Member

i have mixed feelings about them. They make good fillers for certain subjects but it isn't a cure all.

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

It's not a style you want to lean on or depend on, but if they're done well, they can be excellent and insightful pieces. Limiting their use is the key. We typically do it once a year, maybe twice, but NEVER with the same person.

11. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell New Member

It's not lazy if the questioner is prepared, the subject is engaging and the demand is right

12. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

They're best with subjects that can often be dry -- such as state of the department stuff with the local AD or similar administration folks. You can get all the info (When is that construction project starting? What's the focus this year for fundraising? What about that new NCAA rule/coach on the warm seat) out at one time, instead of 10 relatively boring 15-inch stories.

Draft saved Draft deleted