1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doing non-journalism piddling while working

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rockbottom, Nov 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BYH

BYH Active Member

end of thread.

It's more than a little disingenious to go on to SportsJournalists.com while in the press box and say that people are wasting time in the press box.

2. Why don't you care?
    [/quote]
    because it doesn't affect me.

everybody has a different way to get the job done. all that bugs me in the press box is cheering - obviously bugs me more than you, but I think ethical lapses are worse than playing solitaire - and any other loud, distracting nonsense that you get.
    what somebody is doing on his laptop during a game? i've got more important things to worry about. maybe you should too

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

My Dearest Rock,
    What put you over the top, today, was your work and auto-fellatio on SportsJournalists.com.
    I'm sure it wasn't a distraction at all crafting and typing.
    If I were your boss, I'm thinking promotion to columnist.

4. awriter

awriter Active Member

Unless they're cheering in the press box or doing something else that would distract you, it's really none of your damn business. Since you're paying such close attention, take comfort in the fact that your stories will be so much better than theirs.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Man, it must REALLY have hit home...

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It's no different than kibbutzing around a buffet table for a half hour during the game, shit that happens plenty often.

I recall covering an event where there was a sizable group of people huddled around a bigscreen TV set watching a baseball playoff game.

7. The most postmodern thread in SportsJournalists.com history.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

"How to Potty Train Dogs" came up as one of the ad links on this thread. Giggle.

9. Stupid

Stupid Member

Why the fuss over how someone does their job, Rock? Why not wait until the finished product before getting all tight-assed over how they did it? For all you know, they might have been there to talk to one player or one coach and didn't need to white-knuckle a play-by-play to know what to ask.

10. Whether I'm working or "piddling", am I the only one who was taught that eavesdropping/eyeballing other people's laptop screens is rather rude?

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

yes.
    it is part of the nature of our beast. Of course it's kind of hard not to look at the person in front of you.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Not necessarily. It just seems a little hypocritical to log on to SportsJournalists.com from a press box to gripe about people wasting time in a press box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.