1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doing non-journalism piddling while working

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rockbottom, Nov 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I start this wondering aloud ... I am at a MAJOR college football game right now. And one of the papers who are considered the hometown papers for the visiting school has two folks here -- one of whch is idly pecking away at his keyboard while the other is checking his e-mail, playing solitaire and firing up this site.

Meanwhile, the other 200 of us up here are keeping notes, blogging, and, well, DOING OUR JOBS.

WTF, people? Is it that hard?

rb

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

If you're doing your job how do you know what other people are doing? And aren't you on this site too?

3. Rockbottom

During the MIGHTY LONG tv timeouts, yes. While I blog and keep stats and talk to the other writers here from my paper.

rb

4. Clever username

I see. I see. What's the score?

5. Rockbottom

At halftime, and after two more blog posts, 14-9.

rb

6. Clever username

Auburn-Alabama, nice.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Maybe others don't have to blog. And with roughly 17 minutes between plays...there's only so many notes one can take.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

People work at different paces, with different methods, even on the same assignment. "Piddling" to one may be "organizing your thoughts" to another, even if it seems wasteful from an outside view.

9. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I'm checking in here during the breaks, but my eyes are on the field when play resumes. Honest.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I can't find fault over a quick e-mail check, but having solitaire on your screen doesn't sound terribly bright.

11. Who gives a crap? Do your job and stop worrying about how other do -- or don't do -- theirs. Unless they're being loud and distracting I really don't see the point of this.

12. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Had a boss once who loved to play online trivia during work.
    After catching him red-handed one day, I worked up the nerve to ask why he plays trivia when there is work to be done.

His response: "I work better when my mind isn't overloaded and every hour or so, I just need a quick escape."

That might sound like total BS (and to most of us, that response would be), but he worked better under pressure and hardly ever missed a deadline.

So ... goes to show you, everyone has their own work methods. There are plenty of folks who should be working when they are piddling, but, no one ever said everything is fair.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.