1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doing crystal meth will lift you up until your service break

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Oct 27, 2009.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

More importantly from that article:<blockquote>The Daily News said that the year was 1997. . . . Agassi had won the Olympic gold medal in the 1996 Atlanta Games, but didn't win a major in 1997.</blockquote>Wikipedia editors note:<blockquote>1997 was the low point of Agassi's career. His wrist injury resurfaced, and he played only 24 matches during the year. He won no top-level titles and his ranking sank to World No. 141 on November 10, 1997. He ultimately finished the year ranked World No. 122.</blockquote>Any chance these things (other than the wrist) are all related?
  3. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Solid reference in the thread title.
  4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The people who report this probably think I should care, but I just can't find it in me.
  5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

He couldn't afford cocaine?
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Well, if you saw Streisand naked you'd do meth too.
  7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Agassi's career journey might be the most interesting one any athlete has gone on in my lifetime.

To go through all that, and to essentially come out on the other side as:

1. the most charitable athlete in any sport.

2. One of the most gracious ambassadors for his sport you could ask for.

3. By all accounts, a pretty solid husband and father

... is fascinating and remarkable.

J.R. Moehringer co-authored this autobiography, btw. Definitely worth checking out.
  8. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

I love Agassi ... remember having a crush on him as a kid and then just being blown away one of the first times I saw him play when, after the match, he went and gave his racket to a little old lady in a wheelchair. It was just so sweet and unexpected because he looked like such a wild child.
  9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I was pretty devastated to hear this. I would have considered Agassi one of my true sports heroes.

I'm giving him a pass because I think this was when he was married to Brooke Shields. A guy can only take so much...
  10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I worked at Canon from 95-98 when Agassi was their big spokesmen for the whole "image is everything" campaign. He came by the office once, might have been during the Canadian Open but I'm not sure, and couldn't have been a bigger dick.
  11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think he would probably not deny that for a second. I think he's been pretty up front, at least now, about what a gigantic dickhead he was back then.
  12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

In the Big Dickhead Battle between late 90s Agassi and 2006 Barry Bonds, who wins?
Draft saved Draft deleted