1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

D'Oh! The Virginian-Pilot Super Bowl headline

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 8, 2010.

1. doctorx

doctorx Member

The Pilot will have to go a long way to match the paper that celebrated its '100 years of pubic service' in its anniversary edition.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

The St. Augustine (Fla.) Record in 1994 or 1995, according to Google. Leno had it on Headlines, as you may well imagine.

3. bp6316

bp6316 Member

Not at all. Especially for a poster front. It's exactly what every Saints fan in that city is thinking and feeling. It captures that emotion perfectly. If our goal is to best serve our readership, the mission was accomplished.

If the game story was done in first person, I'd have a problem with that. But celebrating something this big for a city that "needs" to have something go right in this way. Nothing wrong with it.

4. Mystery Meat II

Perhaps "AMEN!" and "our prayers are answered" seem a little off, considering that if New Orleans had a prayer they really really wanted answered in the last six years, beating the Colts wouldn't have been it.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You ever been to New Orleans?

6. Mystery Meat II

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Sorry. Forgot everything, even moments of joy, have to be run through the Katrina filter. The people of New Orleans aren't allowed to do anything, say anything or enjoy anything without first sharing their tales of anguish.
    In the 38 years before Katrina, the Saints winning the Super Bowl seemed as unlikely to these fans as waking up to find their city underwater. Yeah, maybe a Super Bowl victory wasn't item No. 1 on their wish list. But I'm guessing it's in the top five.

8. Mystery Meat II

Who said anything about them not being allowed to celebrate or being happy? I'm just pointing out that referencing prayers answered, given their recent history, maybe isn't the best way to describe it.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And I'm pointing out that you'd be surprised at how many people saw that Times-Pic cover and said, "Damn right!"

10. Mystery Meat II

Not surprised in the least. I'm not saying everyone in New Orleans is going to riot over it or protest the paper or anything. It's an observation, is all. Someone asked if that was perhaps a bit overkill, and I offered up a reason why maybe it was.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I'm exhausted from all this fussin' and feudin' anyhow. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted