1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

D'Oh! The Virginian-Pilot Super Bowl headline

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Not everyone has multiple sets of eyes to proof, though. And, yes, I can say that when it comes to games like this or the NCAA championship games, too much time is spent on the presentation and design that the print proof can take a second seat. Heck, that's the No. 1 priority my editor (ME) emphasized, was the design. I did overlook the print and type carefully, but I imagine there are smaller papers that don't have the staff or luxury, and that's why mistakes like this can happen, probably more often than not.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

A paper the size of the Pilot has a sports desk with multiple people viewing the sports front proof. Whether smaller papers and smaller, less experienced staffs overshoot their boundaries with design is another discussion and not applicable here, because this is generally a very clean paper in both graphics and copy. It just so happens the mistake they let through was a whopper.

Oh, and you meant oversee. Spend too much time worrying about the art for your post?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I can see how the "design" could have contributed if the score line was typed out in advance and an editor typed in just the score but didn't pay attention to the order of the teams -- especially if it was a news side editor.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

That's some great stuff. Thanks for the link.

5. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Love the cover that had the best headlines ever...
    "Colts lose"
    and my favorite
    "Local fans watch the Super Bowl"

This one's going on my wall

6. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

Yep, it's what happens when you've got too much to do and not enough time to do it.
    We send sports fronts down all the time for first edition all the time without proper proofing. Not enough of us and stupid deadlines.
    I blame management as much as I do editors.
    It's called neglect.

7. mb

mb Active Member

Many moons ago I interviewed at the Pilot. And I was struck by the fact that those guys/gals knew fucking everything about sports. We talked about all kinds of stuff.

However, at the time (and it sure looks like it's the same way now), the section fronts were done by folks that had nothing to do with sports. I don't remember the ins and outs, other than the sports folk knocked out all the inside pages and some super-kickass-lookhowgreatweare designers did all the section fronts.

8. mb

mb Active Member

And I know I'm harping, but this is the paper of my childhood and I *still* can't believe that ...

If I'm a Saints fan and I want to save the local paper or put it on my wall/door/whatever, I now have to PAY for one with the correct score.

Seriously?

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm sure the Pilot designers are more creative and talented than I can ever hope to be, but ... is that a sports cover or an ad for next weekend's Macy's President's Day sale?

10. The Pilot, from the top down, loves to brag about how good it looks. And it often looks great. But people inside and outside that paper have been saying for a long time that it would be nice if accuracy was given the same attention.

11. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Way to stay objective, Times-Picayune: "Amen: After 43 years, our prayers are answered."

Anyone else bothered by this?

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Not really.

Draft saved Draft deleted