1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

D'Oh! The Virginian-Pilot Super Bowl headline

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 8, 2010.

1. http://hamptonroads.com/2010/02/correction-virginianpilot-super-bowl-sports-front
    They had the score right, but the teams reversed... Crap.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well, it wasn't exactly a headline. It was the red lead-in line (god, I hate colored type) to the actual story.
    Still inexcusable but that's what happens sometimes when you're more concerned with the 900 design elements and gimmicks on the page that the actual copy...as this cover seems to be

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

So do they send all the offending copies to a third world country?

4. mb

mb Active Member

Was just about to post this. *Love* that they're willing to SELL you a copy of the correct cover.

Heckovajob there, Pilot.

5. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I ALWAYS fear this, and double, triple and quadruple check the type as the last thing I do. I actually wonder how many papers, big or small, made mistakes considering the magnitude that presentation for the game warrants.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

And therein lies another major problem with this industry: the presentation becomes more important than the actual FACTS!

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Anybody have a pic of the original page?

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

You got that right.

9. mb

mb Active Member

Scroll down and there are scans here:

http://www.visualeditors.com/apple/

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

The red scoreline plays well off the ad.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What does that mean? Would the score have been correct if it was typeset in Olde English?

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is an oversight, it's not HEY LET'S SPEND ALL OUR TIME ON GRAPHIC ELEMENTS AND NOT GIVE A DAMN ABOUT COPY. But you figure multiple sets of eyes looked at the page and that it should have been proofed relatively early, since there's no late games on the cover.

The lesson isn't that emphasis on design takes away from the product, it's that you have to check even the simplest thing that you might gloss over. Having a Wall Street Journal layout isn't going to solve THAT problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted