1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

D'oh! Sports writer tells mag.. he's embarassed to cover sports.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 23, 2009.

1. blueview

blueview Member

"Let them eat cake."

Why do I keep thinking these words every time I see this thread or any mention of Harlan among my peers?

2. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

"grow up?"

80-to-90 percent of this board would take the nationals post beat in a heartbeat. it's irrelevant how they much they win.

i don't know chico, in fact he's probably a good guy like most of you have stated, but he comes off as an arrogant prick in this piece. and it makes this profession look bad.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Because you are ill-informed and prone to make foolish conclusions that are also cliches?

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

His sentiment was definitely among the myriad reasons I left sportswriting, up there with the low pay and terrible hours. One day I found myself waiting and waiting and waiting for home high school player to come out of the locker room just so I could write a story glorifying his efforts in a game. As I waited, I asked myself, "Am I, a 31-year-old man, really in a job where my work depends on the whim of an adolescent?" As I thought about it later, I did concede that unless I owned my own business, my work would always depend on somebody's whim. But, I figured, I might as well get paid better for it and have weekends free. So I quit and went back to school.

This is not to say that I look down on my former colleagues. Far from it. I might have made a different decision if that kid had come out of the locker room on time. Maybe I would have stuck it out and moved up the ranks. Maybe not. It was just my reaction to the particular situation I was in at that particular time in my life.

And despite how difficult I imagine it would be to still be in journalism now, I am still jealous of the good times my co-workers and competitors must be having in the press rooms and on the road. That was always my favorite part, being with my fellow wretches.

5. blueview

blueview Member

No, probably because I realize that it was such a flippant statement to make at a time when there are other reporters without jobs by no doing of their own (see: News, Rocky Mountain) and someone didn't realize how fortunate he is to be in a position that he's in.

Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, DD, and I understand if Chico's your boy, but if that's how you feel ...

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I don't know Chico Harlan, and completely believe those on this thread who say he's a good guy.

I DO know we don't give a lot of 'good guy' exemptions to athletes and coaches and even civilians who cough up the occasional hairball in an interview. People who collect quotes for a living should know better when they're on the other side of the interview.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I ain't 31 yet and I didn't say that about adolescents, in particular, but I did have the same feeling. It bothered me in I'm sure the same way it bothered you (and many others.)

I solved that particular uneasiness in my mind by switching from reporting to the desk, where a) I like my job just as much; and b) my schedule doesn't depend on anybody's whim, which was hugely important to me. I don't get nights or weekends free, but that doesn't bother me because I'd rather get up at noon and the world is less crowded when your "weekend" is Sun/Mon or Tues/Wed instead. Also, I get paid better and -- up until the last 2-3 years -- there always seemed to be more job opportunities available because who doesn't need a good and reliable desker, especially in sports?

Not that it means anything these days, but I would urge reporters who feel this way to consider making a change like that instead of growing so bitter and/or cynical and/or disillusioned that they end up blurting out the things that Mr. Harlan said.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Anyone who gets paid to watch games should be embarrassed.

9. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

who gets paid to watch games?

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I agree it was not the right thing to say, especially in this environment, but it is not a reflection of who he is. And I'd also like to point out to some people here that Chico did not just luck his way into this job. There is a lot of hard work and a lot of talent involved too. He's fortunate to be where he is. He's also there for a reason. And just so you know, the "he should just jump to the news desk if he hates it so much" path is not exactly something you just "do" at the Washington Post.

I've said my my piece sticking up for someone I respect and like.

People can draw whatever conclusions they choose.

Nothing personal, but I think I need a mental health break from this place.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Did I really need to use the blue font?

We all do at one time or another.

12. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

did I really need to use the blue font?

Draft saved Draft deleted