1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

D'oh! Sports writer tells mag.. he's embarassed to cover sports.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Reporters, more than anybody else, should know that any time you are talking to another reporter, anything and everything you say probably will end up in print.

Therefore the usual excuse of "offhand unguarded remark" doesn't fly.

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

chico's good people, a hell of a writer and a hell of a reporter... who cares how he feels about it as long as he gets the job done?

3. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

True, however, I think the previous analogy is apt and interesting: nobody in music or politics worries about being perceived as a "fan" of their beat. That's a major neurotic problem in sportswriting. Even when you look at opinion writing in those areas, it's not a matter of whether George Will or James Carville hates politics, it's which side they're supporting. In sports, some people try to prove their objectivity by being above the subject, which returns to the heart of Harlan's comments.

4. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I think you ought to be allowed to hate sports, if you do a good job of writing about it anyway. I don't think anybody cares whether a great political reporter hates politics. There are things all of us hate about sports. There are things all political writers probably hate about politics.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Writers, of all sorts, should be aware of this. Yet many want to trot out the same tired excuses.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Did writing about food somehow become prestigious and I missed it?

7. Give the guy a break, he covers the freakin' Nationals.

Hi Moddy! :D

8. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

That's a spectacularly tone deaf thing to say right now. If you're so above sports, find someone to give you a job writing about something you deem worthy of your brilliance. Otherwise STFU.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I wasn't bothered by the original statement, the apology was more problematic.
    The truth is the ultimate defense and it sounded like the original statement was truthful. So why apologize? When I was covering sports full-time, I grew to hate sports. I mean really despise them. Now I cover news and I feel the same way.
    I still like to report. I still like to write. Just because I don't like what I cover, that doesn't mean that I hate my job.
    I like my job, some days I love my job but that still doesn't mean I love or even like sitting in a windowless room, reviewing legal filings as they relate to real estate transactions, as I try to tie together three different threads for an enterprise project I'm working on.

10. Notepad

Notepad Member

Says who? Him?
    Guy has been tremendously full of himself in every interaction I have had with him. His quote to the Washingtonian just substantiates that.

11. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Because there are countless journalists jobless in this shitty economy (even worse for this profession) who would kill for that gig.

12. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Couldn't agree more. If you hate your job, why publicize that to the public when there are millions who don't have a job? I'm sure there are plenty of people who hate their job, but please, keep it to yourself.

Draft saved Draft deleted