1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dogs and cats getting along?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Aug 27, 2012.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Any thoughts?

Background: We have two dogs and a cat, who have been living together for almost a month.

A few injuries and swiping incidents aside, we're all doing OK. But it could be a lot better without the physical injuries involved.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Let them get old and fat.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If the cat were bigger it would eat you. And the dogs.

I'd get rid of the cat.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

1. A burlap sack
    2. 2-3 bricks
    3. A bridge over water

5. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Are you the only one getting injured? Is it only the cat beating you up or are the dogs in on it too?

(I've had some dog/cat problems. Solution with one dog was letting some mean barn cats beat the crap out of him. He was scared to death of cats after that. Second dog loved the cats when he was a puppy but when he matured he seriously wanted to hurt them. Complicated solution for that one was to always keep the dogs/cats separated. I tried a couple of dog trainers and was told that his prey instince was too strong to train out of him.)

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

We have a 4-year-old female cat and a male dog who's about 18 months old. Both have been fixed, and both pretty much stay indoors.

At first the cat tried to intimidate the dog, but as he's gotten older and a little bigger (he's a smallish terrier mix, about 15 pounds), he's often the instigator. It's truly funny to watch them sometimes. It's just like a snooty big sister and bratty little brother going at it.

They mostly get along, but every now, out of the blue, one or the other will do something to piss off the other.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

This made me laugh out loud, then stand up and applaud.

I hate cats. That is all.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Cats only should exist on the Internet.

9. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

I'm down to one dog now, but at one time I had two dogs and a cat (and a now-ex-wife who loved animals). One of my dogs pretty much ignored the cat, but the other one was a young Labrador retriever who had way too much energy and the cat didn't know what to make of him. And obviously the cat was a lot smaller and probably felt threatened by this big dog always in his face.

One day the cat got annoyed with him, took out the claws and swiped the dog across the top of his head. Cut him open and made him bleed. And the dog learned his lesson. He calmed down around the cat after that and the two of them became buddies. The cat laid down the law and -- as counter-intuitive as it seems -- became the alpha of the pack. I know it sounds ridiculous, but years later, I still find it pretty cool that I watched that relationship develop. They didn't have their own territory in the house, the spent time with each other.

I'm sure part of it has to do with the temperament of the cat. If it's a cat whose tendency is to hang out under the couch all day, he's probably not going to get along with dogs, who are pack animals who want to be part of a group. My cat had the pack mentality. He wanted to be where everyone was and never went hiding under furniture when any people or other animals were around.

Basically I think it's up to the animals to work it out among themselves. You can try to keep them separated to minimize the chaos, but I think in order to live together peacefully they need to spend time together.

10. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

The solution to your first problem is so obvious that I must be missing something. Have you tried removing him from the bedroom and then closing the door?

It does sound like the dogs and cat can work it out as TheHacker suggested. When I got cat two, things didn't start out too well with cat one. I finally put the two of them together, hoped for the best as I listened to their pitched battle. When it was quiet and I was sure one of dead, I found the two of them snoozing together.

11. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted