1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

doggie out at WFAN; fat man stays

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

A has-been and a never-was.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Hmm, a company that's up to its neck in red ink is paying $3 million to a guy who has no leverage for a small slice of niche programming? I have to see the pay stubs before I believe that.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Oh. I thought you could listen to them nationwide on the radio.

Oh well.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Personally I cannot stand either one of them.

Off-air, the words "obnoxious" and "pricks" don't seem to do them justice.

Together, on-the-air, overall they did a damn good show.

And like human beings tend to do, they destroyed it.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Dog comes on to do one more "good afternoon everybody". Fatso is patting himself on the back about how important the show has been.

Edit: Not actually sure if he is there or if they just did a recording of the opening.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

You'd think Francesa, just once, would call his partner by his real name.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Chernoff said Dog would not be back for a farewell. Did not hear the opening -- and don't intend to listen to fatso pontificating at all -- but I'm guessing it had to be tape.

And, reason No. 2678 why I'll never pay for satellite radio: Christopher "Mad Dog" Russo.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It was a tape, but he called in briefly.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Francesa said WFAN doesn't do farewell shows because they've been burned in the past. Makes sense. If someone is getting fired, there's no telling what they'd do on live radio. But Dog did call in and say a little something from what I gathered (I only caught about five minutes in the car).

Personally, I think it sucks. I find 98 percent of sports talk radio to be unlistenable, with the 2 percent consisting entirely of this show. I always hated summers because the two pretty much alternated vacation weeks for three months, having only a couple here and there where they were on together.

I may be in the minority, but I like both guys and I'll continue listening to Mike (as a Yankees fan, it's hard not to enjoy his knowlege and passion for the team), but it won't be the same.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They're replaying the open at 6 PM, for those who missed it and care.

Today's show has been one of Mike's highwater marks in terms of civility to callers.

He would be well-served to use today's standard as a (re)launching pad towards a more genteel approach to callers who might disagree with him (and who might actually be, you know, right).

11. there was a story in the post or daily news 10 years ago. mike claimed to be turning a new leaf. "i'm going to be more civil!"

it lasted about a week.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He made a point today about their differing approach to "callers" and "the audience".

Yeah, as if we hadn't noticed.

The show was never supposed to be "King of the Mountain", though some involved might have thought so.

Draft saved Draft deleted