1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dog Toys

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KG, Apr 16, 2009.

1. KG

KG Active Member

I need help finding toys my precious little Daisy can't destroy. Every time I think I find one that can stand up to her, she proves me wrong. She's even chewed pieces off her Kong toys. She can whittle down those plastic, flavored bones in no time too. She loves to play tug-a-war with Travis (my other dog) with the rope toys. She destroys those too, but I wait until there's almost nothing left before I replace them. I feel like there isn't a single toy out there made to actually be played with by a rambunctious puppy.

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i was going to suggest a kong ball until i saw you already tried that route. my little buddy can reduce a real ham bone to near nothing in a matter of hours but he can't dent the kong ball.

the mutt we had when i was a wee scribe was a champion chewer who finally met his match with a cue ball.

3. KG

KG Active Member

With the Kong ball, the only part she has managed to destroy is the little nubby things on the end that help keep the treat in, which kind of defeats the purpose. Although that's only on the octagon one. She hasn't torn up the pyramid-looking one, yet.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

the kong ball i have is just a softball-size rubber ball with no nubby things or treats inside. it was like $13 for a stinking rubber ball but it's the only toy that has lasted.

5. KG

KG Active Member

Ha Ha! She chewed up a squeaky ball this morning that she had in her possession for, oh, an hour maybe. Anyway, I got the squeaker part and washed it. I'm freaking both the dogs out right now by using it like a whistle.

Tx, there are special treats made just for the Kong balls that are kind of hard to get in and nearly impossible to get out. They have to sit and chew and lick at the opening to get even a smidgen of the treat. It keeps Daisy busy and happy when she's in her crate.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

How about an old tennis ball? I really have never understood the concept of purchasing toys for pets. Look around your house. There's probably plenty of old things sitting around that dogs and cats will love to chew or bat around.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Orvis makes some cloth-type toys that they advertise as indestructible. our dog hasn't been able to tear it up. not sure of the price - it was Ralphie's christmas gift from my parents.

8. KG

KG Active Member

My husband and I are trying for a baby soon, so I don't want her having cloth toys where she could confuse them with the baby's toys. I've never let my older dog have cloth toys for the same reason. It's always been tennis balls, knotted ropes and hard rubber bones. Now, he will wallk all around stuffed animals and never touch them. I'm still working with Daisy on that one, but if I tell her to drop it, she does so right away.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Kong's rule. I have a zillion Kong "ballies" and tennis "ballies" and my trio of misfits loves all of them. Stuffed toys last about 10 minutes here. The tug ropes have to be the thick ones.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

(enters thread)

Thank god!

(leaves thread)

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice...

12. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Tennis balls can be iffy cause some dogs develop "garbage gut" where a bunch of the fuzz accumulates in the dog's stomach. Be careful with em.

Draft saved Draft deleted