1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dog on the DL

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Wendell Gee, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I've been around dogs and cats my entire life and was completely unaware of ACL injuries. This whole thread is fascinating.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Next for Dogs - growth plate injuries.

3. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

this isn't about dog the bounty hunter?

4. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

His regular vet saw him today. Surgery is an option, but he also said he'd likely be OK without surgery. The downside of that being he wouldn't be quite as fast and agile as before. They're getting a second opinion tomorrow, but right now leaning toward not having the surgery.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My nephew's lab blew out an ACL years ago. No surgery. Dog is fine. Unless the dog is making sharp cuts to avoid tacklers, it should be OK.

Doggie John surgery is another story.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You do need to report his status to the league by Wednesday, though.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I should probably look into that.

When Zinger got sick, I spent $3,000 trying to keep her alive. Would have spent 10 times that much if necessary. Does that make me crazy? Probably. I'll live with that. My dogs mean that much to me.

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

My boxer (RIP) when he got older still thought of himself as a pup. He'd regularly tweak his hammy out in the yard playing so hard. He be charging along wide open and all of a sudden pull up just like Emmitt Smith.

I'd rub it for him. He'd hobble around for a few hours and be fine.

He passed away Dec. 31 and I can just now tell stories like this while laughing and not crying. He was my son. If he would have ever needed life saving surgery or whatever, no matter the cost, he would have gotten it. I've spent far more on vet bills in my life than doctor bills for myself.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

As standard policy, Mike Shanahan reports all of his pets as 'questionable.'

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I know a doctor in Canada that will give your dog DGH.

11. doctorx

doctorx Member

Thought you meant the Bounty Hunter. Boy, that would have been good news for crooks.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Just be happy your pooch didn't have a sports hernia

Draft saved Draft deleted