1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dog issues

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Pal,

You must realize that the way your bickering hounds have you running in circles is amusing.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Seems like a lot of good suggestions. Have you talked to your dog's veterinarian about the problem yet? It could be a medical problem leading to bad behavior. They also might have a good suggestion or two even if nothing is physically wrong with your dog.

The shock collar is a good idea, too, but you'd have to be sure you are there to hit the button in time to save the other dog.

Keep looking for a new home for your dog. It takes time, especially if you are going to make sure to find a good home. My wife and I had to find a new home for our two cats a while back and it took months. We were past frustrated and had no idea what to do when a friend of my wife's found somebody to take them in. We get reports on them once in a while and they're doing great. It sucks that they're gone, but it helps to know they have a good home.

3. rallen13

rallen13 Member

outofplace,
    You and I may disagree on the "moon walk" issue, but you are right on with your comments on this one.

One suggestion to dog428. If the animal is pedigreed, you will have a much better chance if you go through the registering organization (AKC, etc.), either at finding a solution to the aggressiveness or a new home.

4. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

pallister. ... I remember you being not a douchebag on here. ... is everything OK lately?

And this is coming from a dog-lover.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Pallister,

The 'context' you created was that your dogs were the equivelent of your sister's kids. That's what you said.

I know you're speaking a little toungue in cheek with that comment, but for anyone to say their dogs are the same as children is, IMO, idiotic.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm with Idaho. It's no comparison.

My dogs are much better behaved.

7. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Fortunately, my wife's uncle is our vet. She has no medical condition that he can find. He was the one who suggested we find a new home for our dog. Basically, he said that no matter what we do there will always be a chance that she will attack one of the other dogs over food. He's trying to help us find a good home for her.

I think what the vet says also applies to the shock collar idea. It's not a matter of the dog not knowing that it's doing something wrong. Trust me, she knows full well.

8. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

This behavior won't stop with a shock collar. You could hire a trainer, there are some who specilaize in aggresive behavior.

Even if it's hard you need to do what is best for both dogs, even if that means giving one up. Hope it works out.

9. You seem like a good owner. Just want to follow-up on what Rough Mix posted.

We have a dog that's not so friendly with other dogs, especially when food is involved. I was working with a rescue organization and mentioned that to a person working there. She said that, in her opinion/philosophy on dogs, that's something that can be worked on with training. It's just a matter of dominance over the dog and teaching the dog that behavior like that is simply not acceptable. Sort of like the Dog Whisperer guy always says, "be a calm, assertive leader." In fact, I just caught on TV about a week ago some sort of Dog Whisperer marathon where the guy was working with dogs that didn't get along with other dogs and he was getting them to socialize together better. I don't remember if any of the dogs involved had food issues though. As for my dog, we were working on being better, more dominant pack leaders. Before we got to the point of testing her with other dogs though, we moved and haven't found another trainer to work with in our new city yet. But, you might want to see if you can find a Dog Whisperer trainer to work with before giving the dog up. I'm not talking about someone who does obedience classes to teach the dog to sit, stay, etc. but someone who works with dogs with behavior/socialization problems.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Fortunately, labs are highly sought-after, so maybe there's a good chance for finding her a good home. I think you're doing the right thing. My heart goes out to you.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I know you don't want to give your dog to a shelter, but if case it comes to that there's one thing you should be aware of. Most shelters (except maybe the no-kill kind) will euthanize a dog with food aggression because they can't be placed in homes with dogs, with children or with planned children. It takes such a long time to train a dog to not be food aggressive that shelters can't justify it.

12. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

You might want to give this guy a call

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted