1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dog issues

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

smartest post on this thread.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

true nuff

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Shock collar crossed my mind too. If the dog will attack another dog over food, it will also attach a small child who inadvertently plays in the dogfood dish.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Oh, christ.

Spare me.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Agreed. I'd go to the ends of the Earth for my chocolab but, good Lord, she's no human.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Can you teach the Jack Russell martial arts so it can defend itself?

7. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Growing up, we had an australian shepard/blue tick hound mix. She was gorgeous, and we never had any problems with her.

We lived next door to a family who had two toy poodles. Our dog and theirs never had problems -- until one day out of the clear blue, she attacked one of the poodles. We don't know what spurred the attack, but the poodle had to be hospitalized for a week. The family demanded we get rid of our dog. It was one of the hardest things I saw my parents do. Their thought process was that if the dog would go nuts like that just once, she'd surely do it again.

8. I think that's precisely why I like my dog so much.

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I usually try not to insult people on this board -- but I'll bend the rule for this comment

You, sir, are an idiot.

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

My golden retriever strongly dislikes other dogs, but when any of my three cats drink out of his water dish, he just obediently waits his turn. Maybe it's because when he was about six months old, he chased my oldest cat up into a chair, and the cat landed a right on his dome on which you could hear the impact. And he's not exactly the Colton Orr of the kitty world, either - one of my younger cats swats him in the ass from behind regularly and gets away with it.
    That said, I regret not having socialized my dog better with other dogs as a pup.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Oh, I'm sorry, did I offend SportsJournalists.com's No. 1 parent? I should have remembered that having kids makes you a better person. Forgive me.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

As to my entire original post, not just the part you took out of context, Idaho: At the time my dogs started having trouble with each other, the suggestion that I simply "get rid of one" was absurd, so I responded to that with absurdity of my own. Yes, dogs are not humans, but if you have a pet or pets you're attached to, you do whatever you can to keep from having to get rid of it/them. Obviously, if it comes to a point where the conflict is life-threatening (to another pet or a human), certain steps have to be taken. But if a little separation/crating, whatever will solve the problem, then that's what I'd do. In fact that's what I've done.

Draft saved Draft deleted