1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dog issue

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Well we're so glad you could stop by and E-slap us on the wrist, oop.

The guy admitted to not having the dog trained. And, gee, why fix the fence for the safety of the dog and the neighbourhood? Oh, because it's not his fence to fix.

Right.

You want to own a dog? You take the responsibility of all levels of care for that dog. Try to remember two things:
    A. Which creature in this story is higher on the food chain
    B. Excuses are like assholes ... everybody has one.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Did you for once think of actually trying to be productive instead of just slamming the guy? No. Of course not. You just have to rip the guy instead of just making a suggestion how to help.

I love puppies got some digs in, too, but at least they came with suggestions. Your contribution was to pile on a guy who already feels terrible and, if you bothered to actually read everything involved, has larger issues going on at home.

And I did say he is most likely at least partially responsible for the dog's behavior. But he has to deal with the reality of now not just what he should have done earlier.

But please, go on tossing stones. I'm sure that'll make the guy listen.

3. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

Printdust,

Is the dog fixed? Do that first if it hasn't already been done.
    You are the one at fault here for poor early training methods, so you HAVE to deal with it.
    Dog Whisper's magic is kind of hard to believe, but trying a few of his methods can't hurt.
    Also, get the 8-year-old involved. The Dog Whisperer often says that kids naturally are pack leaders, so maybe she can make headway.
    Also, does dog have a fenced-in backyard to roam in or is he relegated to just occasional walks? If he doesnt get to roam a yard freely, of course he is like a shot out of a gun wanting to run free.
    My first dog was a door charger. She was a great family dog and she did have a big backyard, but this was just a habit she never overcame. We just learned to answer the door without letting her out and when she did get out, we hunted her down if she didn't come back soon.
    It is just part of being a dog owner. Don't get rid of the dog because of its flaws because you are the one that let the flaws occur in the first place. Just learn to live with it.
    And don't get rid of it because your child will remember it forever.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Some relatives had a demon dog. They took him to obedience classes, he was neutered - nothing worked. He chewed furniture, shoes, remote controls, pretty much anything in front of him. Visiting them was not fun, because the dog jumped all over you, nipped at you, etc. When the dog was about 3, he suddenly got sick and died within a few days. I forget what he died from, but it was something congenital that apparently just made him into a mean dog, because he was suffering. Nothing they did or could have done would have changed the dog's demeanor. He was just a sick dog, whose illness made him mean and untrainable.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Oh because being sympathetic to someone who wants to shunt responsibility by getting rid of the dog is the way to go, too.

The fact remains he gave up on the dog the day he brought it into the house by not bothering to train it. As I've said before, if you take responsibility for another creature, you do so fully and whole-heartedly. I'm going to assume he doesn't just let his kid do whatever she wants, throwing shit at the wall to see if it sticks or not. So why do that to the dog?

But you go ahead and be that type, allowing people to dodge their responsibilities. You can see where that's taking society, right?

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I've got no issues with him giving away the dog if he can't handle the situation. Yea, it's his fault the dog isn't trained, but there's a lot more going on in his life than a dog right now. As long as whomever is taking the dog is away of the dog's issues and lack of training, I fail to see what the problem is with giving it away.

He and his wife are having issues. That to me seems to be something he should be focusing on instead of a dog that's out of control, but has a place to go.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

You know, you're right, chick. I wholeheartedly agree that he should give up the dog. And not be allowed to own one again.

8. outofplace

Exactly, sportschick. Well put.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Word for word, exactly what I was thinking.

10. printdust

printdust New Member

Well, let's see, I who have owned about a dozen pets in my life am a bad undeserving pet owner. And I bet most of those who would say that don't have animals, or really and truly see them as equal on the chain with humans.

Fact: I have a backyard with a fence. Fact: The dog is fixed. Fact: This dog not only digs under fences, he has learned to climb the fence. This dog's brain is Mensa quality. I had never seen this type of dog when we got it as a pup, for free, just driving down the road one day. In a dozen dogs, I never had to research to see if it is Satan reincarnate. This one is. And with neighborhood kids, he's not violent, but some kids just don't know if a dog is wanting an arm to chew on or a belly-scratch when it runs up to them.

We have agreed on a deal. The next destructive thing he does, he's gone. Period. If he gets scooped by the pound, he's on his own. We had a loving family on a farm who wanted him and I got voted down. That would have been heaven to him. Because of everyone's selfishness, he could wind up in the pound's injection chamber one day. So I hope he destroys something minor so I can jettison him to a more appropriate dwelling. And get a cat.

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Hey, asshole ... you're the one who couldn't be bothered having the dog trained.

And yes, I own a dog. And yes, he is lower on the food chain than I am. And yes, he was trained.

If he gets scooped by the pound, he's on his own.

Just another example of you failing to take responsibility. I hope that works out for you.

12. outofplace

And people say my posts are predictable.

The truth is, the dog is in a bad place. It's a home where he does not fit and is not wanted by all of the members. A home with bigger issues to deal with.

The best thing they could have done was find this dog a new home, no matter how badly some people here want to pile on printdust.

Draft saved Draft deleted