1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dog issue

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

OK, here's the thing.

It was my parents dog for 10 years, then they moved and got jobs that required lots of travel, so I took it because I had a house with a fence and didn't travel much.
    Then I moved to Texas and kept the dog and all was well, because I owned a house with a fence and still didn't travel that much.
    Then I got divorced and the dog and I lived in an apartment before moving in with roommate, who owns a house with a fence.
    Now, he is most likely moving and I have to go back to an apartment. I don't have a lot of money, my parents are willing to pay to put her down and that is their wish, more than having her live in an apartment being miserable because she can't run around.
    Plus, she is getting to the point where I am not sure how enjoyable life is.
    She's going blind, is mostly deaf and when it is really cold or really hot - which are the main temperates where I live - she is miserable and has arthritis in one of her hips - that was shatter when she was a puppy and was run over.
    We're not talking about a 3-year-old dog here.

As far as the relatives or friends thing, well, my closest relatives live in the Bay Area, Spokane and Seattle, so that's out. My only friends all live in apartments as well. Also, my dog likes to try to bit people if she doesn't know them or it is late at night. So, it isn't like she is exactly pet friendly anymore.

2. Angola, if the dog is near the end and miserable, OK. I can see that.

Printdust: The problem isn't the dog. It's you. Every dog can be properly trained. Have you looked into every kind of training course? PetSmart has some regular ones. For a couple of hundred bucks (I know, I'm living paycheck to paycheck, too) you can get this dog back on track.

But like I said, it's up to you to properly train and discipline the dog. Just getting rid of him is lazy and cold. Some dogs are just naturally good. Most aren't. In 10 years you won't miss the money it takes to properly train him. I promise.

I had to train one of my dogs and the difference after a few weeks was amazing. Don't give up on him/her. They can change. But you have to be disciplined and ready to put in the work.

Don't give him up.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

Oh and a footnote: some of those stressors include a marriage on the rocks anyway. There, the other can of worms is now open. Depression from being a "single mom" while dad works evenings...that kind of thing. Take away the family dog or one of them and it's like taking away their son/brother.

4. printdusty,

When the dog bullrushes the door. Have you ever thought of standing there with your arm out saying, "NO!"

Dude, go to the National Geographic channel and watch the Dog Whisperer. Do it now.

Don't piss off your kid and wife anymore than you have to. Keep the dog and get it trained.

Set up a paypal account for the training and I'll contribute. Seriously.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah... maybe I'll give up pop for Lent and send you the money I'd spend on Diet Coke for training... It's better than family strife...

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hey, will someone set up an account to train my kids to listen to me?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No... but we are paying them an allowance to frustrate the hell out of you.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Sounds like a Carnac joke in the making.

9. printdust

printdust New Member

Well, that's mighty, um, generous (stupid?) of you to contribute to the cause, but I'll think about it. You must not be a journalist if you have that money to throw around.

The dog bullrushes the door when it is shut. You know, the wooden interior door is one an the glass outside door is the other. No one has to be going in or out, the door just has to be open, and you'd have to hire a security guard to get that accomplished.

Oh and not that we haven't tried what you said. He just runs on through it.

10. You're not being the pack leader! The dog must be in a state of calm, submissiveness. You don't train the dog, you train the owner.

These and other nuggets can be found on The Dog Whisperer. Or as South Park called him, the dog wheeespererrrrr.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

There's also a great dog training show on Animal Planet (the name of it escapes me, but it's a British woman).

That said, heelers are difficult dogs. Not every dog is a good fit in every family. Not everyone has the time, discipline or money to deal with an overactive dog such as a heeler. If you've found somebody who's willing and able to deal with the dog, I see no issue in giving the dog away.

12. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Tell her Heath Ledger needed a heeler.

Draft saved Draft deleted