1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dog issue

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Feb 5, 2008.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

I want to get rid of our heeler dog. He's a pain in the ass, chews up everything in site and while we finally got him tapered on that habit, he bull-runs the outside front door when the inside front door isn't shut, knocks it open, and runs for an hour or two. We can't keep him in, he's torn up sections of our fence (and we rent, so that's a problem). Yet my wife tells me we're going to scar our daughter who at 8 makes sure he's fed, etc. What do I do? I can't afford the damn behavior training crap and of all the dogs I've ever had, I've never had one this wild. Am I a monster for doing this to my daughter?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

break the house, or your daughter's heart... wow...
    Have you looked into ALL training alternatives?

3. printdust

printdust New Member

We're just strapped right now and got a few more stressors at work. I just got the call from the lady who wants it, am supposed to take it over this afternoon before the kids get out of school. Wife is bawling now. Damn.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I think you have to go through with it and just be the bad guy for a bit.
    There is a good chance my roommate is moving, which means I have to move back into an apartment, which means my dog of 15 years is going to have to be put down.
    All of my friends and my girlfriend don't want me to do it, but sometimes in life pets just can't be had. At least you are finding your dog a home.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

When she comes home from school tell her that Fido went to the Big Kennel in the Sky.

And remember, puppies are free.

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nothing wrong with getting another dog, just one more in tune to your surroundings... How long have you had this one?
    Ms. Slappy's sister-in-law works with some animal groups that deal with rescue dogs.. find one more appreciative.
    The other day, the SIL was on the way to work and found a year-old basset hound running down the freeway with a harness and leash.. no one was around, havent seen any ads in the paper... so it's now at a basset hound rescue place... am sure you can find a dog to fit your needs (want a basset hound?)

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That's awful... no alternatives?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So you're going to kill your dog because you roommate is leaving?

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Or he went to chase cars in a nice big field with grandma and Heath Ledger.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Roommate doesn't get the job?
    It sucks, but my dog is really old, going blind, has taken to defecating in the house periodically and generally has led a real good life.
    I just don't think there are any other alternatives.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Roommate owns the house I live in. If he moves, then I have to go to an apartment and I can't afford the deposits for moving an animal into the apartment.
    Plus, I lived with this dog in an apartment once for three months and it was terrible.

Draft saved Draft deleted