1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dog daze

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Me, too. Head to the pound and see what you can find. Likely there's some puppy who's been abandoned but may already be trained and will worship you until the end of his days.
    My dog wasn't a pound puppy but he was a rescue of sorts. My friends tell me they can tell how much he loves me just by the way he looks at me.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Get a lab mix from your local shelter and you'll never regret it. And don't get a dog unless you're ready to make the commitment to exercise it every day. Exercise is the one absolute difference-maker.

As for the breeds you listed, ridgebacks are great dogs if you can afford to feed them; huskies/malamutes can be behavior problems and take a lot of grooming; boxers are really sweet but have short life spans; avoid beagles at all costs -- well, unless you're looking for a dog that barks nonstop and doesn't listen to a word you say.

I actually know way too much about dogs. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

(And whoa, just noticed this is my 2,000th post)

3. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

GREYHOUND!!!!!

4. Ditto.

And my next will be an adopted greyhound.

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

I have a Shar-Pei, and love it like no other.....She's rare in that she is all black and has only one wrinkle along the back of her neck.....beautiful dog.....after a bath, she has a purple tint to her coat.

Also had a Chow. Awesome dogs, and very, very loyal.

Problem with Labs, Golden Retrievers......they need lots of space. Apartment dwellers, they aren't. (Most typically)

6. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I had an Akita once.

Beautiful dog. Goofy and fun.

And his bark would scare off anyone on the other side of the door.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

My boy ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I had a couple of Australian Shepards when I was younger and they were the most loyal, kindest dogs. Quiet too until some stranger came around then their protective instincts came out, not vicious, just letting the stranger know that it was their territory. Great guard dogs (my parents were out in the country with an acre.)

9. Editude

Editude Active Member

Our new neighborhood is filled with hipsters and their teacup/purse dogs. Don't get those.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Labs may seem to be as goofy as a fur-lined pot, but they have for many years been trained by the Seeing Eye to guide the blind. If you want to do a good deed, get in line with the Seeing Eye to adopt a pup. You get them at about eight weeks and keep them for a year and a half, for basic obedience and training, until they go back for formal training. About 60% go on to be guides; if yours doesn't make it or is not selected for breeding, you get first dibs on adopting s/he for good, or for adopting another trainee. I had a German Shepherd who is in the program, and have a black lab now. Sweet as can be, and I'm not really a dog person.

PM me if you want to learn more.

11. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I can't stand those. Every time I see one, I want to go "Anchorman" on the bitch and punt it over a bridge.

12. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

No matter what you decide, please rescue and don't buy from a pet store.

Draft saved Draft deleted