1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dog bites man.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wickedwritah, Oct 30, 2007.

1. silentbob

silentbob Member

Wicked, civic pride is the backbone of the whole story.
    Boston got over on NY.
    We're gonna send a reporter to rub it in and see how NY responds.

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

One guy wearing a Red Sox jersey is going to gauge the response of 10,000,000 people?

3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Forgive me for I am an idealist. I'm young and naive enough to critique stories on their journalistic and artistic qualities alone. Sure it was popular, and sure it probably played well with the fans, but there's my "Monday morning quarterback" opinion of it. I didn't like it regardless of how much it sold and how much profit it turned out.

Maybe "crap" is too harsh a label for it, but I am disappointed that good journalists could not think of a better angle.

4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Yeah, no crap. Maybe they glossed over the real story: one out of every 100 people even looked at the guy, and only 10% of those people even gave a crap about baseball.

Not exactly like he's strolling across the Ohio State campus decked out in Michigan gear.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My angle wouldn't be to send a guy to NYC.

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I have many goals as a journalist, but one has never been work at a newspaper that is considered "popular." That word never even enters the equation. This isn't high school. Words like "ethical", "integrity" and "creative" do enter the equation.

Sure, a newspaper could write only stories that everyone would like, rehashing the same old crap other papers have succeeded with in the past. It would make our jobs easier and we might make more money. But if you wanted an easy job that makes money, you are in the wrong business.

I've always thought it was our job to inform AND entertain. And believe me, both can be done at the same time. What this story does is entertain. But does anyone learn anything? Yankees fans hate the Sox. HOLY SHIT! Instead of this stupid ruse, how about finding a Red Sox fan that lives in New York and how he celebrated? Or finding out what the scene was like in New York sports bars? I know these aren't groundbreaking, but at least they take a little more thought and work than just wearing a Sox hat.

7. bruins2585

bruins2585 New Member

Good or bad, this story made money on the Web. Many newspapers would be ecstatic to get those kind of hits on a 15-incher that required little budget money and reporting.

8. silentbob

silentbob Member

Bravo to Ty.

Someone finally offered some alternatives.

Pilot, no one claims the story is a scientific survey on how everyone in NY felt.

Judging by everyone's responses, I'm guessing a lot of you weren't thrilled with T.J. Simers making fun of the Nebraska folk. Same premise.

By the way, here are the latest results on The Globe's most-emailed story of the day. I agree that for the most part the masses are asses -- but judging by this, I'd say the story was a success. I don't see how you can argue otherwise. It's almost double.

956 Sneers, loathing greet a Boston fan in NYC
    548 Flying high again
    494 The Rolling Rally
    424 Reason to celebrate
    363 Photoshopping the Red Sox
    296 Red Sox World Series celebration
    262 Jordan's knows cost of victory full well
    211 A triumphant return
    189 Bistro ending its soulful reign

9. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

The "foof" probably did what his editor told him to do.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Made money? How do you figure that?

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That tells you, in part, that the story got very good play on the website and the newspaper.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

That would be correct.

I wouldn't consider 956 people "masses." Certainly not enough to extrapolate that hundreds of thousands of readers found it fascinating. The only thing I get from it is that roughly 1,000 people saw fit to annoy acquaintances by sending it to them -- sort of like those "You Know You're From Dubuque When ..." Or 10 people e-mailing it 100 times. Whatever. It isn't just this story, I have a problem in general with "number of hits" or "most e-mailed" trumping our news judgment.

Draft saved Draft deleted