1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dog bites man.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wickedwritah, Oct 30, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Is this really news? A Boston Globe reporter decided to go undercover in New York, wearing Sox attire, and writes about how people reacted toward him.

I haven't seen today's paper yet, so I don't know if this is an online-only story or if it made it into the print version, too.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/10/30/sneers_loathing_greet_a_boston_fan_in_nyc/

2. silentbob

silentbob Member

Of course it's not news.

Do you really think sports sections should only print news?

It's entertaining.

What's the problem?

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Man, not a Michael Vick justice story?

4. John

John Well-Known Member

I so hate all the (insert team name here) Nation bullshit that I stopped reading after about six words.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

What a waste of space.
    This clown probably met/encountered/passed by thousands and thousands of people in NYC and a dozen or so railed at him for his Red Sox attire... yup, that's a great story.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'm not entertained by it.

What did this foof expect? To be cheered as if he were W in the days following 9/11?

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Just grabbed the paper ... this was on Page 1.

Page 1!

I've worn a Sox jersey in Manhattan to bars and gotten some good-natured ball-busting, but nothing more. Really don't get the point of this piece.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

They decided to emulate the Herald for a day?

9. silentbob

silentbob Member

So then don't read it.

You would think in this age of circulation decline and general newspaper irrelevancy, a sports writer of all things would be more open to trying different things to capture readers' attention.

If the story didn't hit its mark, who cares? It's one day. At least they're trying. If I'm reading the Globe that day, that story would catch my attention more than a story about the typical Sox nation celebration.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Please, the Herald is smarter than publishing this drek.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It's not a sports story. It was placed on Page 1, packaged with the celebration story.

I am up for trying new things, but you need a news hook that's stronger than this.

12. silentbob

silentbob Member

news hook -- most overrated, over-used, outdated phrase in journalism today.

just tell a good story.

Draft saved Draft deleted