1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doesn't the Herald owe more than an apology?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Twoback, May 14, 2008.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Oh, please, in reality the timing means jack. Who cares that it came out the day before the Super Bowl? Did it cause the Patriots to lose? I'm sure that's your line of thinking.

He screwed up, it doesn't matter on what day it happened.

2. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I'm just curious on the last part. What problem could Walsh have with the Herald. His lawyer said he wasn't the source and the story never said he was. People just inferred it must have been him because his name was coming up and other stories said he had info. But I just don't see what issue he could have with the Herald.

3. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Wait, so you don't think it was because of this story the Pats couldn't block anyone?

4. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I think it was a classless, impulsive move. They could have easily waited a few days and investigated further than the single source, but the Herald released this story as the monotonous Super Bowl publicity began to get stale. After all, was a fresh take on Spygate and the press and public ate it up. In the ESPN/Internet/cell phone/TiVo era, I worry that this will be a regular occurrence, if only to get credit for having the story first.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I kinda went hypothetical there, if the Herald story claimed he taped the walkthrough or if it listed him as a source, he probably has a much stronger case than the Patriots would as (at least) limited public figures.

The Patriots organization would have to prove malice; if Walsh were in that position, I'd think all he would have to prove was neglect. One is damn near impossible to argue; the other one should be plain as day.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

How is getting something wrong "classless"?

Impulsive, yes, but this is the type of society we seem to be thriving on. See the New York Post's reports of Kerry/Gephart. Or the Trib-Review's coronation of Russ Grimm. Or the Richmond Times-Dispatch's claim that Hillary was canceling campaign events. Or 10,000 other stories.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That was a national story, wick. Everyone had that.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The T-D link was what was discussed here.

You get my point, though.

9. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Ignorant would be a better word than classless.

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Tomase is going to write an explainer for Friday.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Think it was meant for emphasis, wicked, and that bostonbred probably brought up "the day before the Super Bowl" in order to make the equation that, the bigger or more important the event and the stories related to it, the more critical/careful the editing of that stuff ought to have been.

Theoretically speaking, of course.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Story should've been carefully edited on any day.

If what RSC says is correct, and I trust him, then the editors pretty much threw Tomase under the bus by rushing the story.

Draft saved Draft deleted