1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doesn't the Herald owe more than an apology?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Twoback, May 14, 2008.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

When the Boston Herald -- or any newspaper -- has detailed knowledge of a major screw-up in politics or business or sports, they're going to print as much as they can about the mechanics of that error and the ramifications.
    So what does the Herald present in response to the revelation that there was no St. Louis Super Bowl walk-through tape?
    A simple "Oops."
    http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1093898&srvc=sports&position=0
    Is that good enough?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/56246/

Also, to be fair, it's not like it was a tiny correction. It was two really really really big headlines.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Not a d_b.
    This deserved its own thread.
    And simply putting a big headline on a minimal apology does not explain to your readership how you managed to get one this wrong. This is part of our problem as a business. We throw a lot of stones but don't want anyone to pick apart our work.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I just was showing you where it was also being discussed, so you could see the headlines.

Did I say "D_B" anywhere?

Anyway, Mr. Touchy, let me say this:

Anyone who had a hand in this story going to print should be in some SERIOUS shit for this part right here. You have NO ONE who will say they've seen it, but they're going with it regardless? Boo.

5. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

Read the comments at the end of the story.

Bad day at the Herald. Bad day.

6. It will get worse, believe me.
    My favorite comment:

"You guys are truely ridiculous...I took 1 Jouralism class in high school, and hardly paid attention and even I know that you're suppose to check your sources out. Over and over again. Okay, so you guys didn't see the tape, but you didn't even talk to someone who actually saw "the tape" ???? Haha...thats horrible. How do u report something based on a rumor? Nothing more then a Tabloid."

Nice writing, mallethead.
    I presume you flunked the course.
    "I are truely edumacated!"

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Good enough to work at JRC tho...

8. Probably in an executive capacity.

9. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Unfortunately their only source on the matter was a high school girl from suburban Chicago, who added: My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

10. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Today's story leaves me really puzzled. If Walsh didn't tell them he taped the walkthrough, then where did the story come from?
    My previous assumption was that Walsh was the source. I can't see how else you'd end up running this two days before the Super Bowl, off something someone else heard secondhand, apparently.

11. How are unnamed sources vetted at your respective shops? Do you have to disclose to your boss? Does your boss need to hear from the source too?
    Unfortunately, Tomase is probably going to go down to, but there's an editor or some kind of chain of command that let this happen, and they're going to go to. It's sad, really, because it's a safe assumption that these people should know better. Is the desperation at the Herald so great that it needs to beat the Globe at all costs?
    It's a black eye all around. I'd really like to know, however, how unnamed sources are vetted at your place of biz.

Draft saved Draft deleted