1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doesn't ANYBODY want to cover the Phillies?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pendleton, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

You'd think that covering the Philadelphia Phillies for a Philadelphia (or suburban Philadelphia) newspaper would be one of the ultimate beats, given how the team has fared the past three years.

But it's a sad sign of the times that the papers, especially the Inquirer, cannot seem to keep their writers.

Apparently Andy Martino is the latest to leave the Inquirer:

http://www.the700level.com/2010/03/your-saturday-extras-halladays-34-phillies-media-movement-wrights-seat-and-some-fantasy-advice.html#more

Excerpt: "In other Phillies media news, it appears another pair of Phils beats is leaving town. With Scott Lauber already off to cover the Red Sox, Mike Sielski and Andy Martino have now switched over to the dark side—covering the Mets. It feels like only days ago I was holding the door for Martino while sheepishly not introducing myself. Anyway, stealing our beats won't win you games in September, Mets"

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

These are not the best of times for the Inky. That's nothing new. Andy did a pretty good job with the beat considering his predecessor was Todd Zolecki. Andy's a New York guy and it gives him a chance to return to his comfort zone. Good for him.

3. jetssack

jetssack Member

Martino hightailed it back to the Daily News to take over the Mets beat when Adam Rubin bolted for ESPN along with his former Daily News SE, Leon Carter.

4. Scrubs

Scrubs Member

Any word on this one?

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Looks like Bob Brookover's doing some temp work with the Phils until they fill the beat. Brookover was the beat writer, I believe, until he went over to Eagles coverage.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

The job won't be filled anytime soon with a hire. There have been too many other hires that haven't been replaced. Not only that, the paper is up for auction and there's hope that the same ownership group will be able to retain it. Lot more important stuff than who'll be coming the Phils.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm breaking a personal here. I decided recently there were two posters I was no longer going to reply to because it was only a recipe for going crazy. But I can't help myself on this one.

If they are hires, why would they have to be replaced? I'm confused by that line.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

I decided long ago to ignore obvious baiting tactics by posters/moderators but I can't resist.
    There will not be any new hires to replace departed personnel.

9. Moderator1

Oy. You didn't say departed personnel. You said too many HIRES that haven't been replaced. THAT is the confusing part.
    My head hurts. Back to my rules.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Whatever keeps you happy my man.

11. Moderator1

Why don't you explain your post - how 'bout that? You say something stupid and then just skate right over it. Did you mistype? Are you full of it?
    And I'm not "your man." Far from it.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I was wondering who the other one was besides myself. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted