1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doesn't anybody carry cash anymore?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Monday Morning Sportswriter, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think it's a law in my state ... if you are 59 or younger, checks only can be used at the grocery store or to pay bills. i think it's like a $100 fine.

2. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I have never used my debit card to make any retail purchases, and I never will. It does hold up the line ups at places. I use the card at the ATM to pay cash and simplicity is the name of the game. Also, refunds on purchases are harder with debit than with cash.

A lot of Canadian sj's may know this, but now Tim's let you use Mastercard for purchases for up to $25.00.
    I mean anyone who wants a double double can now put the purchase on Mastercard. Great way to hold up the already busy line-ups. MacD's is even worse because everyone uses debit now. I mean for a $1.39
    burger purchase, why would you use debit if you have to pay a service fee of $2.50-$3.00? It seems senseless to me.

I love the smell of bills and yes I get high on bills, so cash to me is like euphoria.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

service charge on a debit? what in the hell are you talking about?

4. Flash

Flash Guest

My coffee shop, which is closer to my office than Bux so I sacrifice, adds an additional 15 cents on every debit purchase to cover the cost of the transaction.

I'm cool with it.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

now i remember a fee at some stores a coupla years ago -- exactly what you're referring to -- but i haven't seen one of those for a long, long time.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Have debit cards taken over in the States yet? I always carry cash or use my CCs when I'm visiting below the 49th because I've always found debit cards aren't generally accepted the way they are up here.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i haven't carried cash for years, a lotta years. but i've always had a visa debit, so i've never been hassled.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Only carry enough cash for morning coffee, everything else is debit. Rarely use my credit card.

Tims has held out against debit for the reasons other Canucks have explaiend here. It would be fucking anarchy in the mornings. I haven't seen anyone using the Mastercard thing there yet.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Tim's is all debit out here.

10. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Closest ATM (heh!) is in town, about four miles away. The only other businesses nearby are a marina and a last-stop style convenience store for campers which gets broken into every other night. As for putting it on the brochures, we inherited 2,000 of 'em when we took the place over, and I don't think it's worth a reprint. If you're coming here, you'd passed an ATM already, so you know where to go.

We have a sign on the door saying we're sorry, but we don't accept credit cards, but I don't want to blare it. We have other things we already have to blare, such as how you have to have shoes (because a lot of dumbasses wander from the campgrounds in their bare feet), not to mention our hours and our prices, and the fact that children have to be supervised. I feel like the outside of our little place already looks like a church bulletin board.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Seriously.
    I always get cash out for vacations, though I am not sure why. All that does is guarantee I won't have any cash left when I return home.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

The only time I have cash is if I'm working desk, I'll take a couple bucks with me to get a Sprite Zero or two out of the vending machine. Or else I walk to the place on the corner and debit a soda.

I debited a pack of gum the other day. I HATE cash.

Draft saved Draft deleted