1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doesn't anybody carry cash anymore?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Monday Morning Sportswriter, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I prefer cash for the reason ServeItUp mentioned.

I despise people who pay for $1.50 worth of goods with a debit.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

So many places that traditionally never took plastic are doing so now that I think people expect every place to take plastic.

I still carry cash, but I don't stress if I don't have any on me.

Perhaps what you ought to do is tell your customers that if you took credit cards, you'd have to charge more.

3. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I can't remember the last time I carried cash. I rarely venture out of my area, and know which businesses don't take debit/credit. So, I don't bother with them.

Along the same lines, I ran across a very odd situation recently. I stopped at an am/pm to get some gas, and discovered they only accepted debit at the pump or cash inside. I have never seen a gas station that didn't accept credit cards until that day.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Sorry. The few places left that you can't use them, I usually don't go to often any more.

5. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Debit cards carry a less expensive merchant fee, which is probably why the gas station only takes cash or debit cards. Most debit cards also have a MC or Visa logo on them so you can use them as either a debit card or credit card. It's illegal for a merchant to put a minimum on a purchase in order to use a credit card...it's part of the contract. In my business, we just started taking credit cards a few years ago. Before it was cash or check only. Our credit card fees are exhorbitant, but unfortunately that's the nature of the beast.

I liked the idea of having a MAC machine installed in your business. Call your local bank and see if they're interested.

I very rarely carry more than $5-10....a problem that has nearly gotten me in trouble on the Turnpike with paying tolls (however, they will accept a check!).

6. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

We've actually never lost a customer because of it. We're a destination. If they're coming here, they're coming in. Usually they understand about the cards, but they've been snippier than usual today.

First, accepting credit cards, besides having no tangible benefit to us, means having to reshift our business setup. It's a sole proprietership now, but I'd need to get more legitimate, set up a business checking account, and start dealing with that hassle, just to accept what would probably be about $500 a month in credit card business. The fellow with the restaurant across the street said it's about $400 for him to start accepting plastic every summer. Plus the credit card company takes 2 to 5 percent on everything, but there's a minimum per transaction, at least with the plan he has. With us and so many tiny transactions, we'd lose more like 10 percent.

I never thought about the ATM, but I can't imagine it would ever be worth it for, again, the $500 a month that people would withdraw. Plus, our building is about as secure as a back yard shed. Any dumb kid could break a window to get in. (we're an amusement, so what's the building has little value) Plus, for May and June, we're only open weekends, so that's not too secure, either.

I know people aren't carrying cash as much these days. I just wish they wouldn't be so bitchy to the places that don't accept it. The last customers for the day -- who wanted to pay with a card -- just left by boat. They left me a dirty diaper on a bench. We've had some horrible things happen on our property -- a fire started by a cigarette (it's a no-smoking amusement), a customer taking a leak outside, etc. But that was pretty gross.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

How come?

It takes just as long to give the cashier a $10 bill and have her count out $8.50 in change, then wait for the guy to put the bills back in his wallet and the change in his pocket.

I set my "despise" bar a little higher than that.

8. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

People who use checks for everyday purchases, that's what gets my goat. Just get a debit card!

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

People who use non-duplicate checks and have to balance their checkbook at the checkout line. They drive me batty!

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

BTE,

Maybe the debit machines in your area are quicker, but there is nothing worse than getting into a line of five people and having the four in front of you pay by debit/credit. It is definitely slower than paying by cash.

Not even close.

But, you are right, my despise meter is pretty low.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

My local in my hometown is home to the world's stiffest cocktails, surliest bartenders and is the last tavern in America without a credit card machine or an ATM.

They will, however, cash a check for you up to almost any amount. Crazy fucking joint.

12. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Range boy! Range boy!

Draft saved Draft deleted