1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doesn't anybody carry cash anymore?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Monday Morning Sportswriter, Jul 29, 2007.

1. We're just starting to carry cash again. It's more convenient to use the check card but neither my wife or I were very good at keeping track of our transactions. I often found I had about $20-$50 less than I thought because the wife saw a sale and preferred I see it on the bank account than have to tell me about it.

It's much easier just to take $20 or $40 out than to have eight or nine items on there for $5 apiece.

Incidentally, there's a great steak place around here that will not accept check cards or credit cards but maintains that by not doing so it can afford to charge $6 for a ribeye platter. From what I understand, the banks charge companies a fee for every card purchase - that's why a lot won't accept a card for less than $5.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I usually have a few bucks on me, but usually use plastic because of points from my check card.
    But I don't pitch a fit if I cant use one.
    Stick by your guns, if for no other reason it saves on your transaction fees -- and make a big enough sign to say "NO FLIPPIN PLASTIC!"

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

ok, how about this. While you don't take plastic, how much more would you make/how much would it cost you for a gas-station type ATM?

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

What is the going rate for a gas-station ATM?

Who would know?

5. Nope. After one mugging, you learn your lesson. Credit and bank cards can be canceled in a flash. Cash on the other hand, is just gone.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

When I carry cash, I spend every penny of it -- quickly. Using a credit (or debit) card saves me money in the long run.

7. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

How many other places are there anymore that don't take credit cards?

8. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

i once used a credit card for a candy bar. but the line for the atm was long, so that was my excuse.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Usually never carry more than $60.00

Use a debit card for most everything.

Monday, you could install an ATM and perhaps make money from it.

However, if your average purchase is less than $10.00, people should pay expect to pay cash.

And put a sign on your front door if you don't already have one.

10. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Credit card companies will take away your machines if you try to put minimum purchase limits on transactions, I believe. If a store that does it ever ticks you off, call the credit card folks. That'll learn 'em.

11. Never carry cash. I still have an ATM card and get cash when I know I need it for something or I want to be sure not to spend more than a certain amount of money in a night. But generally, I charge everything.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

don't the cc companies charge you a fee every time you accept a payment on those machines?

Draft saved Draft deleted