1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doesn't anybody carry cash anymore?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Monday Morning Sportswriter, Jul 29, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Don't they have EZ-Pass or some other electronic toll collection system where you live?
    It makes life a lot easier.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I've taken seven-day business trips with about a buck and a half with me and returned home with the same amount. Depending on where I'm going, it's often not a problem at all.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Not carrying cash ruins the writing tip of keeping your lede's word count to the amount of cash you have on you.
    I try to carry a little cash on me, generally from the freelance checks I occasionally get. I'll cash them and it will be my walkaround money.
    Last time I was in a cab, I paid with cash. Had to since they don't take cards.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I usually carry about $80-100 in cash and use credit cards, but don't have and won't get a debit card. I have my bank send me a regular ATM card. I've heard too many stories (including ones on here) where people have had their debit cards stolen, their accounts have been drained and it takes the bank days to make them whole.

I carry cash because, for one, I don't like to make servers split the bill on two or more cards when I'm out with friends. And you just never know when something's going to come up and you need cash.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

One of the many lessons learned from Hurricane Katrina. Power was out for about a week in a lot of places around here, which meant phone service was also spotty. Made me realize how quickly everything can fall apart, and how valuable having some cash on hand is in case of emergency. If they can't process the transaction, the deepest bank account or largest credit line in the world ain't gonna help you. Cash is reliable and safe, as far as being accepted goes. I've had merchants say they don't take cards. Never had one tell me my $20 bill is no good.
    Plus, I feel like an idiot paying for something like McDonald's with a card. I usually have $50-$100 cash on me, and get nervous when the wallet fund dips below about $40. Also have a couple hundred stashed around the house for emergencies.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

haven't encountered that in many years. and, if the phone line is down at one store, i'll go to another where it's not.

and i don't let service industry folks' want to make money under the table dictate my lifestyle.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Here's one for the cellphone loving credit card users.
    Local post office uses a wireless system for its credit card transactions. However the use of cellphones in the lobby area can crash the system and force everyone to use cash only.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Parking meters in Calgary are going to be accessible by credit card and cellphone.

http://www.770chqr.com/news/news_local.cfm?cat=7428327912&rem=70406&red=80132723aPBIny&wids=410&gi=1&gm=news_local.cfm

I make no apology for the error in the lead. This is a radio script, after all.

Draft saved Draft deleted