1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does your shop force you to take breaks?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by schiezainc, Jun 28, 2011.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

How about taking a little pride in your work?

If you are unfamiliar with this concept, PM me and I will try my best to explain it to you in easy-to-read format.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Rhody says he does a lot of his work at night.

We all know the publisher isn't there at that time. Say you took a break during that time.

Like others have said, this really isn't that difficult.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Because all it would take is the employee just saying, "Well I was pressured to sign those time cards and it was encouraged." Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is - You actually have bosses who want you to follow the law. If you don't want to follow it, fine, lie on your time cards like some other people are suggesting. But of all the things to complain about a publisher doing, this would rank about #4,756, given the state of journalism.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Quality is subjective. Would readers or the bosses notice a drop in quality because one or two games won't be covered? Everyone has to deal with limits. There are mistakes in your paper and every other paper in the country because there are time and labor constraints.

There are mistakes in every business because of those same constraints. Living within those constraints doesn't mean you don't care or won't put in a honest day's work. Why does it have to be either/or?

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Yes, our egos are the problem. Sorry for wanting to be better than everyone we compete against and not wanting to let our readers down.
    It is not always possible to take a break and hand in an accurate timecard. Our publisher doesn't acknowledge this.
    And Stitch, I don't know how familiar you are with our chain, but the "big dailies" in our chain don't hold a candle to the work we do in quality; right now, neither does the big paper in our state, as far as sports goes.

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I was beginning to wonder why he thought we had egos. Thanks for clearing it up. :)

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It actually is.

8. ShiptoShore

ShiptoShore Member

This thread is still going?

Maybe it's just because I'm a n00b, but you all continue to impress me.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

We have staying power.

In every way imaginable.

Except for BYH.

Draft saved Draft deleted