1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does your paper REALLY need a columnist

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by boots, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Editude

Editude Active Member

One of my previous good-sized shops had a preps-only columnist, and he was not essential. You tend to be a little softer around the high schools, so the columns read more like coronations and features than debatable opinions. A real luxury.

2. boots

boots New Member

He's soft because he wants to bee soft. You can be hard and cover the preps effectively. I know it's high school and kids aren't compensated for their play, but there are a ton of stories out there aching to be told.

3. Frylock

Frylock Member

I think it's a great idea for any paper, especially if there is at least a major university in the area.
    The question of who on a staff should be doing it is the tough one. I think in a perfect world, the ME, publisher and SE should look at the personnel and go with someone who has good writing/reporting skills and is not afraid to take a stand on issues relating to the local teams.
    I've read way too many rah-rah guys or columnists who write stuff on pro teams three or four hours away.
    But the reaction to a good, thought-provoking column can be stunning.

Draft saved Draft deleted