1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does your newspaper or company have social media guidelines?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, Feb 22, 2011.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I ask because my company is trying to get me to create some before I walk out the door. My boss has written some up so far and I am really not happy with them. I'm going to post the guidelines below. I think they are pretty scary. Looking to see what everyone else thinks and what they would remove, add or change. Thanks!

(Note: This document doesn't say it is solely for people using social media for work. I am led to believe this is also for people using personal accounts to tweet or blog about their own opinions on things)

[name redacted] Social Media Guidelines

• Purpose:
    o The purpose of the following is to make sure that all personnel affiliated with [name redacted] are aware of the Social Media Guidelines that are enforced by The Kaufman Financial Group. All employees, assigned workers, agents, third party constituents, and any other persons affiliated, directly or indirectly, with the Kaufman Financial Group must abide by these guidelines.

• Genuine:
    o Never knowingly communicate information that is untrue or deceptive. When posting about [name redacted], you must always disclose your connection to the company. Unless you are certified to speak on behalf of [name redacted], you should make it known that the ideas you are representing are yours alone and are in no way affiliated with ideas of [name redacted]. Every time you post something about[name redacted], indirectly or directly, you must include a disclaimer. An example of this is: “The views expressed on this [blog, website, post, email, etc] are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of [name redacted].”

• Representation:
    o Never pretend to be someone else and post about [name redacted]. All anonymous posts can be traced back to the original author, so be sure to always represent [name redacted] in the best way possible. If you would not want your grandmother to hear it, then don’t say it.

• Be aware:
    o That you are legally liable for everything you post. More and more employers are taking legal action against those who speak in an ill manor, condescending, obscene, defamatory, or in any negative connotation whatsoever. Be aware that what you say today could pose problems for you in the future.

• Monitor your sites:
    o Be responsible. Make sure that if comments are enabled on any of your posts, that you are monitoring them before they become visible to the public. Read through each of your comments, and then if you deem it acceptable, approve it to be posted – remember by approving this, you are accepting responsibility for any and all consequences that may follow.

• Respect:
    o Respect your audience and [name redacted]. Avoid ethnic slurs, personal insults, obscenity, and aggressive behavior. Show consideration for others and do not discuss disagreeable topics.

• Courtesy:
    o Do not reference clients, partners, suppliers, or any other person affiliated with [name redacted] without their approval. If you do make a comment, be sure to link it back to the source. Do not publish content that may allow inferences to be made that could cause embarrassment or harm to clients, partners, suppliers, or any other persons affiliated with [name redacted].

• Protect yourself:
    o Even though these are the Social Media Guidelines for [name redacted], these are general rules that should be applied whenever using the Internet. More and more crimes are being committed as a result of internet postings and personal information being given out. Please be sure to protect yourself. It is important to be honest when posting, but do not divulge too much personal information that others could use against you. Do not list your home address, home phone number, work phone number, or cell phone number.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd love a list of the biggest fuckups tweeted by writers/journalists/broadcasters.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Plenty of that, but what are those fireable offenses? How does the NBA, NFL, NHL walk the line between getting players to behave and not infringing on their rights to free speech?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well, the players have a right to tweet whatever they want. Their employers also have a right to fine them for it.

5. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Romenesko had an item the other day on Freedom's new policy. It essentially says you can't discuss work, ever, even on your personal accounts/time.

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/romenesko/119459/freedom-communications-releases-social-media-policy-to-staff/

Thing is, this policy and those like it that try to govern personal accounts/time are going to run up against the National Labor Relations Board, which recently ruled that Facebook is the modern equivalent of the water cooler, and employees discussing employment is protected.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/09/business/09facebook.html

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Good for the NLRB.

It would be like someone posting on Facebook that they had a bad day at work, and a FB friend asks why. According to Freedom, that person shouldn't say anything at all.

To me, it's like if I'm coming home from work and my neighbor asks how my day went. According to Freedom, I shouldn't even be allowed to answer the question.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I got written up once for posting on my Facebook "Rick is not in the mood to be blamed, once again, for something that had nothing to do with him."

Didn't mention work directly, but the boss knew what I was talking about it and decided it was insubordination.

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I don't really use social media and am generally the first to say FU when someone tries to tell me what to do on my on time, but it seems pretty much everything written in there so far is common sense.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

^

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

While I'm starting to agree with that sentiment, I feel the overall tone of this message sucks. I think when it is mass delivered to all employees it will not be good for morale.

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I guess I've always just operated on the principle of not writing anything down that could come back and bite you in the butt. If it's spoken, there is no record. There are certain things I won't even text to best friends. If I feel the need to say it, I say it in person. I sure as heck wouldn't post it somewhere.

12. totally_crossed_out

totally_crossed_out New Member

a co-worker constantly blogs about her sex and dating life and it's gone viral....should that be allowed?

Draft saved Draft deleted