1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does your kid have a TV in his/her room?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 9, 2013.

1. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Me too. I meant you can more easily control the content of a book than the other options.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My parents should have banned BOOKS from my bedroom: I very regularly used to read long, long into the night from about second and third grade on.

Although since many of the books were encyclopedias, history books, astronomy books and most of my parents' leftover college textbooks, it probably didn't put much of a dent in my grades anyway.

I got a teevee (our family's flickering old B/W Zenith) in my room in 7th grade but I really didn't watch it too much. Remember, in those days the teevee stations signed off at 1 a.m.

Our family did watch a lot of teevee in the Sixties and Seventies while I was a teen. Mom watched soaps all day and we had sitcoms on every night.

Surprisingly, none of my sibs or I watch very much teevee now. In fact, I went something like four years in the Nineties without a teevee and never missed it.

My sister and her hubby have two teevees in their whole house. A nice 48-inch flat-screen mounted in the family room and a clunky old 27-inch tube-teevee down in the basement rec room. I would say both of these sets put together are probably on about an average of 10 hours a week. They go literally weeks at a time without turning on the rec room set.

None of the 5 kids (age 4-14) have, or want, a teevee in their bedrooms.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

shockey's three stooges never has a tv in their bedrooms but did share one in their 'common area' upstairs. all three boys were raised with being read bedtime stories with parents almost always reading either their own books or magazines, in other words, a reading environment. we're a case study in 'kids are all different'... raised in identical environments, our eldest was an okay reader; middle boy was a voracious reader (as his SAT scores would suggest and youngest shockey has always practically had to be beaten in order for him to read, which made his solid SAT scores stunning to us. they've all done reasonably well in skool, so are similar in that way, but their reading habits couldn't be more different.

but TV's in their bedrooms has NEVER been an issue, not because we put any time limitations on their viewing but moreso that we can monitor what they watch.

4. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

Daughters 11 and seven and neither has a TV in their room.
    Youngest one spent way too much time watching our TV at night in G1 to the point where she was falling behind in reading at school. I went hard ass on her and stopped it and she's caught up in G2.
    Oldest one didn't watch TV at night when she was same age but now spends hours on her iPad but we don't bug her about it because she gets fabulous grades in G5. Her teacher basically told me we were lucky to have her as our child.
    Bottom line, TV in a child's bedroom is a giant mistake in my opinion.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There are educational games on the iPad that kids love.

My 7-year-old can go to a map of the United States and point out probably 45 of the states. He gets some of the New England states mixed up and occasionally he'll mix up Colorado and Wyoming and he knows all of that from simply playing Stack the States.

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I knocked that out when I was six using a battered old atlas that still had fucking Prussia listed. Game, set and match to Luddite old farts! :D

7. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

No tv in the rooms.
    One tv in the den.
    No game boxes what so ever (great savings).
    2 current ivy leaguers.
    Yeah, I think it helped. Some what.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No TV in the kid's bedroom. Heck, we don't even have a TV in our bedroom.

9. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

We put a TV in our bedroom when one of us had a health issue a while back. Used a few times, now collects dust. Soon to be on Craigslist.

A TV in a kid's bedroom? Really? Is this 1990?

Draft saved Draft deleted