1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does your iPod overplay songs?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Feb 12, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Right, that I get. But I'm talking I'll hit "shuffle songs" and then just go from song to song and it will repeat.

2. imjustagirl

I was writing until about 10 minutes ago. My alarm's going off in less than five hours.

I'm an idiot.

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Twenty six posts? Fetch me a beer, newb! :D

4. imjustagirl

I got your beer right here, bitch.

5. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I's thinks that's sesual harris-ment.

6. imjustagirl

You have to not enjoy it for it to be sexual harassment. :D

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

iPod? What's an iPod?

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Could be you have it loaded on there more than once somehow. Some, uh, people, yeah, friends of mine, have told me that can happen.

9. T2

T2 Member

This may be related to the surprising fact that if you have a couple of dozen people, odds are that two of them will have the same birthday.

It's all according to the laws of probability. If each song that the machine plays is a random selection, sometimes it will happen to pick a song that it played recently. (The selection program could prevent this by flagging all songs that have been played, randomly selecting only from the dwindling list of those that have not yet been played, but it probably doesn't do that.)

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

You may have also noticed that iTunes and, I think, your iPod keep track of what songs you listen to most. It wouldn't surprise me if it also keeps track of recent favorites.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I find the repeated songs happens most often when you've shuffled, then lose your shuffle because the battery drained or whatever, and then you shuffle again. I believe iPod assumes that the songs you listen to most are your favorites, so the same ones will pop up if you frequently reshuffle. It also replays songs more if you give them a high rating.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

No. I notice it after I sync the iPod which restarts my shuffle.

I synced it last night after ripping some old CDs. One of the first 10 songs of 1,300 chosen? Once again, my iPod loves it some bubblegum, "Yummy, Yummy, Yummy" popped up again and re-took the lead from Tony Joe White's "Polk Salad Annie" (I've played that one myself several times) on my most played list.

Draft saved Draft deleted