1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Windows 8 suck?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dyno, Jul 3, 2013.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Harley:

MS security essentials is a good, free minimalist antivirus program. I dumped AVG on my laptop and replaced it with that. No noticeable issues. I would hope it's available on 8.

Forget MS Office. Download Open Office for free. It takes some getting used to but it's a quality clone.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

You don't even have to push the Windows button on the keyboard. Just hover your mouse over the bottom right corner of the screen, a menu will pop out, click settings, power then shutdown. Same amount of steps it took in previous versions, just the right side of your monitor instead of the left.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That is an option, but my mouse seems a little twitchy when I try to do that. It's like it has to find just the right spot, then when I go to click it often yanks the menu back and I have to find it all over again. Much easier to hit the Windows button and have a stable target.
    Windows 8: The clitoris of operating systems.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Fired up our Windows 8 today and immediately felt like Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I'll second the love for Open Office -- does everything I need Microsoft Office to do and at a fraction of the price. As for antivirus, I pay for Norton but also use Avast! as a backup.

I've had Windows 8 for about a month now and have mostly figured out the necessities. My biggest complaint is that I keep inadvertently bringing up that stupid new Windows menu, apparently by grazing the touchpad with some part of my body.

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

Reading all the differing reviews as I consider upgrading or super-charging the laptop I have.

At this point, still very much undecided (pretty much normal for me, though).

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Re: Shutting the computer down, alt-F4 is your friend. It still works if you're on the desktop, and it's usually the universal program command to shut something down. (i.e. Almost every program from Firefox to uTorrent to most games will shutdown if you hold ALT then hit F4.)

I view Windows 8 as Microsoft trying to get more hip, trying to be more like Apple. However, if I had wanted a Macbook, I would have just bought an iSomething. I like you for you, Microsoft - don't change, don't ever change. Adding the touch screen option is fine, but I could honestly not give two craps about your tiles thing, and why is your basic media player defaulting to Movies instead of that thing you have called Windows Media Player? I mean, I'm going to use VLC anyway, but still.

8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I'm not compatible with Windows 8. I was looking at new laptops a few months ago and I think I broke one of the display computers at Best Buy. All I know is that the screen went black and my friend and I couldn't get it back and I scurried away before an employee came by. Then I decided to go with Apple. It's just safer. :p

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Generally don't have a problem with the interface - haven't gotten comfortable with the metro stuff, but easy to work around. Just two issues that have been driving me batty:

1. If I use the pointing tool with anything other than the very tip of my finger, it interprets it as some sort of multi-touch maneuver and flips tiles.
    2. My WAN Miniport drivers went kaput last month, which means it cannot make a wireless connection. Not a big issue in the day-to-day as I use an Ethernet cable. I've tried really hard to download new drivers and DIY but it takes a 500-step process that I just can't follow. I'd swallow my pride and bring it in to the OfficeMax I bought it from to have it taken care of, but it closed recently in a dispute over rent with the local developer nazis.

So, if anyone knows how to fix WAN Miniport drivers and can explain it in English, I'd be eternally grateful.

10. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I tried what you all suggested and nothing worked.

I found the minus sign at the bottom right, but all it did was minimize the Windows 8 page.

11. Hey Diaz!

Hey Diaz! Member

Windows 7 just works, IMO. I have no idea why Microsoft felt the need to do a complete 180 just a few years after its release.

Draft saved Draft deleted